Several requested a hit, so here goes.
____________________________________
Original Request:
I am pondering a breakout session called Web 2.0 and Beyond: what does
it all mean.  This would focus on defining and briefly demonstrating
some of the latest web 2.0 tools and terms, things like wordle, clouds,
tags, mashups, and more.

My question is:   what terms do you think librarians need to know / be
aware of that they may not now?   I don't really need links to describe
things, just need a list of terms you would include in such a
presentation.
Links--
Take a look at Prezi; an amazing tool for learning.
[ http://urenglishteacher.blogspot.com/2009/06/prezi-is-cool.html
]Description
and [ http://prezi.com/119313/ ]example.
http://plcmcl2-things.blogspot.com/
 http://library2play.blogspot.com
http://northtexas23.blogspot.com/
Don't know if you are familiar with 23 Things (or variations of it).
The Nebraska Library Commission did an online learning program last year
to encourage participants to learn more about Web 2.0 tools. Here is the
link to the original program.  The things for each week will give you
some ideas.  http://l2ne.blogspot.com/2008/09/home.html
This year they began a second program.  This time each new thing is put
up for a month.  Last month was Google Maps.  This month is "Getting
Social with WorldCat.org"
http://nelearns.blogspot.com/2009_04_01_archive.html

http://webtools4u2use.wikispaces.com/Webtools4U2Use
http://sites.google.com/site/web20wednesdaychallenge

Terms--
Cloud
Wordle
mashups
fliker
blog
rss feeds
ning
Animoto
Glogster
Wordle
Prezi
Voicethread
Blogger
Wiki (many free services for teachers like PB Wiki, Wikispaces)
and, believe it or not, ToonDoo, which has proved to be a powerful
educational
tool
moodle
open source
Shelfari
Animoto
Ning
Library 2.0  Students Talk (J. Blaine),  A Library By Any Other Name
(blogger),  Librarian Philosopher,  Google Reader,  Edublogs login,
Blogger login, iGoogle login, Gmail login, AT&T Yahoo login,  Twitter
login, troubleShootingTechnology Wiki,  SBISD Library Future Wiki,
Historical Fiction Wiki, PGP Lessons,  Animoto,  Audacity, Big Huge
Labs, Wordle,  Library 2.0, Web 2.0 Talk,, Book Reviews  NSBA study of
social networking, Region 4 Podcasting Wiki  Book Review Podcasts 1930s
& Great Depression, Bookr, delicious (social bookmarking),   Multi touch
sensor screen (Jeff Han), Flat Classroom Presentation, Principals
Library2Play  Social Media: convening not controling!
LIST of resources: Curriculum Wiki,  Educational Wikis, More Google
Products,  Web Tools 4u2 use (Florida SLMS),  Web 2.0 Awards,
Go2Web2.0,  Top 100 Alternative Search Engines,  50 Awesome Search
Engines Librarians should know,  100 Useful Niche Search Engines, 100+
Alternative Search Engines You Should Know,  Image Generator Blog,
Image Generators Wiki

Delicious
Teacher Tube
Crakle
Twitter (I just discovered today, via a Houston neighborhood twitter
site, that the person that my school library is named for just passed
away. No one else has informed me of this news; not even our principal.)
Web Wizard
43 Things
Jodix
Slideshare
RSS
firewire, RCA, RGB, USB and other types of cables
blogs and wikis
push and pull technology (in talking about online communities)
podcast, vodcast
aggregator
types of media files including jpeg, mp3, mp4, avi, wmv, mov, wav, etc
We are also looking at the Web 2.0 capabilities of automation software
such as Destiny's patron rating feature, patron reviewing feature (like
Amazon's), and embedding media files into the records.

off the top of my head, the different types of web 2.0 applications
available,
social networks, like nings and the well-known FaceBook, MySpace, and
Twitter
aggregators
readers
image generators
portals
microblogging
video conferencing
virtual worlds
shared workspace
polling
creative commons licensing
podcast

Notes from a conference (shared by another librarian)Pageflakes…does it come
through the school filter?

@@@

Here's the original site for the 23 things concept.  I think this is one
of the most amazing things a school district could do to teach and
integrate web 2.0 into curriculum as well as raise bells about how
important it is to UNBLOCK some sites!!!
http://plcmcl2-things.blogspot.com/

The original program was created for a public library setting..  There
have
been many adaptations since then including California School Library
Association's sites that are geared specifically for the school library
setting  http://schoollibrarylearning2.blogspot.com/
and for classroom teachers http://classroomlearning2.blogspot.com/.

@@@

Simple Spark  http://simplespark.com

not a big fan of  "Go2Web20".  Perhaps it's just me but the process of
clicking through  the wall of icons, figuring out the purpose of each
tool and
determining if it's appropriate for my needs is very time consuming.
I have found a far better site (IMHO) for Web 2.0 apps at "SimpleSpark
(http://simplespark.com).
The SimpleSpark site tracks almost 10,000 Web 2.0 tools and services.
It uses the application icon like "Go2Web20" but underneath each icon
is a brief description about the app or service.  I really like that.
In addition, there is also a rudimentary rating scale based on user
feedback.  Hardly scientific but better then nothing.
Apps are also divided into main categories (ie; Media, Office, Travel,
etc.) and sub-categories for ease of browsing and there's also a text
search box.

@@@

http://www.go2web20.net/
you can click on SelectTag and then choose something you need, such as
timelines, from the menu. It then pulls all the those particular apps
for you.  You still have to search each to see if it meets your needs
but there a just a handful instead of a screen full.  It took me ages to
discover that tip, but now I know it's great!

@@@

http://www.linworth.com/pdf/lmc/reviews_and_articles/featured_articles/Kasman%20Valenza_April_May2008.pdf

@@@

The one below has school applications!!!!

http://newtoolsworkshop.wikispaces.com/?responseToken=7caab61b0d24b4197c22e7e5049a1d30

@@@

http://newtoolsworkshop.wikispaces.com/

@@@

Please feel free to edit and beautify this one on books and reading:
http://bookleads.wikispaces.com/

@@@

http://www..indiana.edu/~w505g/favorites1.html

@@@

http://readingtech.wikispaces.com/

@@@

http://webtools4u2use.wikispaces.com/

@@@

http://www.seomoz.org/web2.0/short

@@@

Folks, you might want to take a look at a paper by Tom March on
webquests in a 2.0 world.   Good reading...

http://greav.ub.edu/iem/index.php?journal=iem&page=article&op=view&path[]=122

Things do change.....perhaps webquests have become another project based

Learning tool

@@@

Tom March has a brilliant site at http://www.web-and-flow.com
Using a template, it allowsyou a free trial to make a number of
web-based activities from a hotlist to a treasure hunt to a true
webquest.  The
step-by-step instructions  not only tell you how to use the template but
also
how to construct the activity itself.  (Much that is called a webquest
is not.)

You can create a short home page so those using your webquest know your
credentials and there is extra help along the way such as Five ways to
know if you have a good topic. I've used it many times and  thoroughly
recommend it.

If you have other questions or comments, reply off list to
betsy.ruffin@cleburne.k12.tx.us

Betsy Ruffin
librarian-technologist
Cleburne ISD