Happy Summer, All!

Our summer days are rapidly coming to an end and I'm beginning to think about the
fall.  Our school has decided on a variety of themes to begin the school year - one
per grade.  That's great, but leaves the library out!  All the themes are generally
around an "exploring" theme and I decided on the "Book a Trip" theme from
Highsmith.  I've got the posters, stamps, and passports ordered.  I'm planning a
window display inside the library, with each continent poster and "tickets"
containing books set in or about that continent.  When the students read these
titles, stamps are given in the passports, etc.  I've got the basics of that worked
out, just not how to decorate!

I'm going to design my own screen-print for a t-shirt to wear open house.  This
will somehow have the Book a Trip/travel/explore theme - I haven't gotten it down
just yet.  My dilemma is how to decorate outside the library?  The hall to my left
is doing the rain forest.  The hall to my right is doing Magic Tree House.  We also
have an ocean and an outback theme going in the building.  How can I decorate about
the "trip" theme?  I'd thought about setting up a "velvet" rope area leading to a
ticket counter (which would be the door to the library), but that's not seeming to
"gel" in my mind just yet.  I have wall of windows on the front of my library, so
decorating can be challenging.  My doors are inset with three large floor to
ceiling windows between them.  The little alcove can be great for decorating, as
it's essentially out of the flow of traffic, but what to do?

I'd love something reminiscent of Indiana Jones and an ancient ticket
counter/airport/train station.  You know the scenes from the old movies.  I'm just
not sure how to make it happen in the space I have.  ANY ideas would be welcome.
I'm certainly open to going in a completely opposite direction.  My brain isn't in
school mode and home renovations have zapped any creative brain cells I have.  I'm
looking forward to going back to work to get some rest!  Book a Trip....help!   hg

Holly Gillum, LMS
Anderson Elementary
Crossett, AR 71635
exlibrishg@yahoo.com

"Reading gives you some place to go when you have to stay where you are."  ~Mason
Cooley