I would hate to see BBYA eliminated.  I know librarians and English teachers use it
to catch up on what they missed the previous year, for purchasing and recommending
to teens.  It's a wonderful resource for reviewing the best in previous years.

A reader's choice award strikes me as a separate issue, in no way a replacement for
BBYA.  I served on ALSC's Notable Children's Books for three years and I know how
much work that kind of committee is, but it was also a great professional
experience.

Should we be sending our views to the YALSA board?

Kathy

Kathleen Odean
Author, Great Books for Girls
Great Books for Boys