Richie's Picks: MARCHING FOR FREEDOM: WALK  TOGETHER, CHILDREN, AND DON'T
YOU GROW WEARY by Elizabeth Partridge, Viking,  October 2009, 80p., ISBN:
978-0-670-01189-6

"In the eyes of a child you will see." -- John  Lodge

Elizabeth Partridge prefaces the first chapter of  MARCHING FOR FREEDOM
with a series of four photographs that chronicle the  July 8, 1964 arrest of
young Samuel Newall.  The series begins with Samuel  standing alone in front
of the Dallas County Courthouse in Selma,  Alabama.  He is quietly holding up
a handwritten poster board  sign that reads: "One Man One Vote   Freedom
Register  Now   SNCC"  The photographs record the approach of deputies  and
the arrest of the young black child for quietly holding up the  voting
rights poster.  Samuel Newall appears in the photos  to be around nine or ten
years old.

"Across the United States, people were shocked that Dr.  King encouraged
children to join in the civil rights struggle.  'A hundred  times I have been
asked,' he said, 'why we have allowed children to march in  demonstrations,
to freeze and suffer in jails, to be exposed to bullets and  dynamite.  The
answer is simple.  Our children and our families are  maimed a little every
day of our lives.  If we can end an incessant torture  by an single
climactic confrontation, the risks are acceptable.'"

While Samuel Newall was getting arrested in Selma in  the summer of 1964
for quietly holding a voting rights protest sign  aloft, I was a nine-year-old
spending the summer flipping baseball cards, riding  my banana bike,
playing kickball in the street, swimming at the beach, listening  to the Beatles,
reading Beverly Cleary, Walter Brooks, and the Sunday funnies,  and
regularly experiencing feelings of confusion and discomfort over  the films running
on the nightly newscasts of violence being  perpetrated against Civil Rights
protesters in the South.  I was an  attentive student -- both at school and
at catechism -- and what I was  seeing on TV just did not make sense given
what I was being taught.  What  was it that I was missing?

I stare at these photos of Samuel Newall, a black kid in  Alabama dressed
in an outfit so similar to those I wore as a child on  Long Island, and I
think about how easily, by virtue of birth, I could  have been him.

"'Don't worry about your children,' Dr. King had reassured  parents.
'Don't hold them back if they want to go to jail.'  He was  in awe of their
willingness and bravery.  'They are doing a job for not  only themselves but for
all of America and for all of mankind.  They are  carving a tunnel of hope
through the great mountain of despair.'"

Chronicling in word and in image the brutal  and sometimes deadly events in
early 1965 that led to the Selma march  and to the subsequent passage of
the Voting Rights Act of 1965, Elizabeth  Partridge focuses MARCHING FOR
FREEDOM on the role of children participating in  the Civil Rights movement.  The
author sought out members of my  generation who were children at the center
of the action during those  tumultuous and tragic days when peacefully
protesting Americans were  arrested and sometimes murdered at the hands of
racist mobs and  Southern white cops.  It is powerful to hear recollections of
now-grownup-kids who actually can be seen in the forty-four year  old
photographs that Partridge has selected for the book -- photos  that visually
immerse readers in the spirit of the Civil Rights movement.

A fact that is emphasized again and again by these  photos is that the
local churches played a pivotal role in the  movement.  We repeatedly see the
young people either singing or  listening intently inside, or standing outside
their churches.  We  read how the marchers would retreat, oftentimes
bleeding, to the  sanctuary of a church.

Count me as one of my generation who grew up to reject  the dictates of the
church in which I was raised just as surely as I rejected my  father's
politics.  I was content to grow up and leave both of their  houses.
Contemplating the significant and positive role that  these churches clearly played
in
the lives of these young people in the Civil  Rights movement has me
wondering about what my children's generation may have  lost out on as a result of
the widespread disaffection that has caused so many  of my generation to
reject traditional religious institutions and raise our  children without
benefit of the community engendered by those  churches.

"Oh freedom
Oh freedom
Oh freedom over me!
And before I'll be a slave
I'll be buried in my grave
And go home to my Lord and be free"

Another reoccurring focus of Partridge's work are the songs of  the
movement that were being sung inside and outside of those churches.   The author
asked of those she interviewed about the songs that gave meaning to  their
struggle, and space amidst the text is provided for samples of those  songs.

"'It's the good times that make you cry,' Charles told  me.  'Not the bad
times.  You've seen something be accomplished and it  really is
heart-rending.'"

The times have been really good lately.  I've cried a lot  over the past
year as I did what I could to help Barack Obama -- who was  a little boy of
color living in Hawaii while the events  in 1965 Alabama were transpiring --
change the course of American  history.  For the little boy still inside of
me who could not wrap his  mind around the variance between what was being
taught in school about  the freedoms supposedly enjoyed by Americans, in
catechism about the teachings  and example set by Jesus, and the state-sanctioned
violence that was  brought into our Long Island living room on the evening
news, MARCHING FOR  FREEDOM does a stellar job -- visually and textually --
of helping make sense of  what was taking place in those troubled times.

Through it, young readers should come to recognize that  the most important
part of becoming an adult in America is  having the right and obligation of
making informed choices at the ballot  box.  In my lifetime, and for my
peers, people died to secure that sacred  right.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks
_http://www.librarything.com/catalog/richiespicks_
(http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)