From: Susan Grigsby <susan.grigsby@GMAIL.COM>
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 2:23:38 PM
Subject: Re: Free the Standards for 21st Century Learners

Carol's response is right on! We here in Georgia are working diligently to
create, write, and post Information Literacy standards that will follow the
Georgia Performance Standards (GPS). In fact, school LMSs from all over the
state gave up 2 days of their precious vacation to come together and work on
them as a group. Part of that process was to make sure we were following
nationally recognized standards in our field to help legitimize our
completed work. You can imagine our shock and dismay when we discovered that
AASL had placed such a proprietary grip on the Standards for 21st Century
Learners. It is self-defeating at best and a detriment to our profession and
it's tenuous place at the educational table. When school librarians are
losing their jobs all across the country, isn't this the time for ALA and
AASL to step up and make us MORE relevant by promoting the heck out of the
use of those much needed standards? How are we going to get this party
started if we can't even reproduce those standards in lesson plans and
collaborative work with our administrators? Just my .02. susan

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Thomas Kaun <tomkaun@gmail.com> wrote:

> I couldn't agree more, Carol.
> There are several new school librarians on the ALA Council. Maybe there
> should be a concerted effort by them to get the ALA to be more open with
> its
> permissions and uses for everyone, especially ALA members.
> Tom
>
> Thomas T. Kaun
> Teacher Librarian
> Bessie Chin Library @ Redwood High School
> 395 Doherty Drive, Larkspur, CA 94939
> tomkaun@gmail.com | Library Web site: http://rhslibrary.org | Professional
> development blog: http://tomlmt2.blogspot.com/ | Library news blog:
> http://libraryleaves.blogspot.com | Twitter: besschinlibrary
>

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Carol Simpson
> <csimpson@carolsimpson.com>wrote:
>
> > This has been the problem with the AASL standards from the beginning
> (even
> > the previous print versions). I wrote about this problem in my Library
> Media
> > Connection editorial when the standards first came out with this
> > restriction. ALA/AASL has NEVER allowed reproduction of more than a
> > barebones discussion of any of its standards, unlike NCATE or NCTM
> > standards.  Ever wonder why those standards are so well-accepted and
> > well-adopted? Because everyone can get and use a copy of the standards.
> >  Those organizations make their money (and this =is= a matter of money)
> from
> > books and workshops applying the standards, not from the standards
> > themselves.
> >
> > ALA is supposed to be out fighting for right to access information, and
> for
> > fair use of information, but they act in a restrictive and proprietary
> > manner regarding the information we AASL members have created to guide
> our
> > profession -- even those who are NOT members of ALA.
> >
> > This is a case of misguided administrators within the organization acting
> > in a way that will protect =their= jobs, not ours.  It may be time to
> "throw
> > the bums out" and tell them exactly how we, the members, want our
> > organization to be run.
> >
> > Carol Simpson, Ed.D., J.D.
> > LMS retired
> > csimpson at carolsimpson dot com
>
>  --------------------------------------------------------------------
>  You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>  by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET
> 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL
> 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/join.html
> [...]

Susan Grigsby, Teacher-Librarian
President, GLMA
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Roswell, Georgia
susan.grigsby@gmail.com
We must be willing to get rid of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the
life that is waiting for us.  — Joseph Campbell