This is already happening in my district.

________________________________

From: School Library Media & Network Communications on behalf of Carol Simpson
Sent: Fri 7/17/2009 2:05 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Free the Standards for 21st Century Learners

Meg wrote:  I am about to have to write curriculum for my district;  I have been
studying the AASL standards but now I believe I won't waste further time on that.

-----------

I hope AASL is reading this list.  What Meg says is exactly what will happen to the
standards.  They will be discarded by the very people they are designed to assist,
and some other organization (can you say ISTE?) will come along and replace them.
Guess who will implement those standards?  Tech folks. Not that librarians aren't
tech-folks too, but implementation of information literacy skills will go to the
computer teachers, not the librarians.

Folks this is serious business.  You need to talk to other librarians who are
currently on hiatus on this list and make a groundswell of opposition. Every single
AASL member needs to take a few minutes to let their elected representatives know
EXACTLY what this position is going to cause. Your state organizations, if they are
affiliated with ALA, should also pressure the national organization. Don't let this
slide. You have more time this summer -- DO IT!

Carol Simpson, Ed.D. J.D.
LMS retired
csimpson at carolsimpson dot com