Hi All,

The AASL Standards are visionary and will move our profession forward and are meant
to be used, Almost all of our use is pure Fair Use as Meg is describing and as
Chris Harris' librarians wanted to do. The permission statement on the AASL
standards page is for uses beyond Fair Use.

I typed up the Standards into Word to post for my Mansfield SL&IT grad students for
their work and felt that needed further permission so sent it to Allison Cline
<acline@ala.org> for permission and got a permission statement to add to the
document. At no cost, of course.

AASL is reading LM_NET and the AASL Forum and the blogs and is going to deal with
this, I have no doubt. The timing of the issue being raised during the ALA
conference when the staff and leadership were involved in at least a hundred hours
of meetings slows everything down.

But, not using the standards will slow us down and weaken school library programs.
If your work goes beyond Fair Use, just e-mail Allison for a permission statement.
90% of what will be done with them will be for educational reasons, in lesson plans
and as an advocacy tool with administrators and teachers for what a 21st Century
library program needs to be.

I cannot speak for AASL any longer but I am a well-informed AASL member who wants
the best for school libraries. I had my last meeting as AASL Past President last
Tuesday morning so was there for most of those hours and hours of meetings that are
on your behalf.

Hope this helps, Sara

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sara Kelly Johns

Associate Editor for AASL Community, Knowledge Quest

Lake Placid Middle/High School LMC

34 School Street

Lake Placid, NY 12946

518-523-2474, ext. 4132

FAX: 518-523-4861

johns@northnet.org

SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson