We MUST resist this insanity with every tool we have.  Carol says
"implementation of information literacy skills will go to the computer
teachers, not the librarians."  This is a scenario I have done
everything possible to prevent since the first moment I went on the
internet.  Too many people see us as virtually obsolete "keepers of the
books" as it is.  These standards are our chance to be seen as the
cutting edge, 21st century educators that we are.

I hope everyone is also following this issue on Twitter (search
#freethestandards).  I hope everyone will raise their voices in protest
at every opportunity.

Jacquie

“Education is not about filling a pail, it’s about lighting a fire."  ~
William Butler Yeats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)
Gananda Central School District
3195 Wiedrick Road
P.O. Box 609
Macedon, NY  14502
315-986-3521 x 3144
jhenry@gananda.org
Library Page: http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/indexgcl.htm
Blog - Library Links For Teachers: http://rachslibrary.edublogs.org/
Blog - WanderingsL
http://wanderings.edublogs.org/
>>> Carol Simpson <csimpson@CAROLSIMPSON.COM> 07/17/09 5:08 PM >>>
Meg wrote:  I am about to have to write curriculum for my district;  I
have been studying the AASL standards but now I believe I won't waste
further time on that.

-----------

I hope AASL is reading this list.  What Meg says is exactly what will
happen to the standards.  They will be discarded by the very people they
are designed to assist, and some other organization (can you say ISTE?)
will come along and replace them.  Guess who will implement those
standards?  Tech folks. Not that librarians aren't tech-folks too, but
implementation of information literacy skills will go to the computer
teachers, not the librarians.

Folks this is serious business.  You need to talk to other librarians
who are currently on hiatus on this list and make a groundswell of
opposition. Every single AASL member needs to take a few minutes to let
their elected representatives know EXACTLY what this position is going
to cause. Your state organizations, if they are affiliated with ALA,
should also pressure the national organization. Don't let this slide.
You have more time this summer -- DO IT!

Carol Simpson, Ed.D. J.D.
LMS retired
csimpson at carolsimpson dot com

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu
In the message write EITHER:
1) SIGNOFF LM_NET
2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL