Original request:

> Our sixth grade teachers are trying to incorporate more nonfiction
> reading into their work with students, as testing results indicate
> that we need more practice in reading and comprehending nonfiction.
>
> They are thinking of using our Scholastic News magazines, but I'd
> like to give them more options.
>
> Do you have ways of incorporating engaging, brief nonfiction
> reading for this age group without purchasing multiple copies of
> books?
>
> Thank you for any help you can give me.

I received only three responses, all of which I will pass along as
possibilities to our teachers. Thanks so much to those who responded. If
anyone else has further suggestions, I will post an addendum to this HIT:

1.      Our school has Time for Kids for this purpose.  Please look at this website
for some information:
http://www.teachercreatedmaterials.com/curriculum_files/pdfs/nfrwps/nfrwps-whitepaper.pdf

2.      I've used a series of magazines called Kids Discover.  Each one is
about one topic and they are very well designed. The kids really like
them.

Here's the Kids Discover website:

http://www.kidsdiscover.com/

3.      Do you subscribe to a periodical database (some thing from ProQuest or

SIRS). I have used articles from SIRS Discoverer in the past with a

SmartBoard to assist students with comprehending nonfiction text.

AND: The great thing about Discoverer is that ES/MS kids can choose the
difficulty level of the articles they want to access and World Book Kids
would be great for introducing elem. kids to another type of nonfiction
writing.

Sarah Woo
MS Librarian
Danvers MA