Richie's Picks: THE RISE AND FALL OF SENATOR  JOE MCCARTHY by James Cross
Giblin, Clarion Books, December 2009, 304p., ISBN:  978-0-618-61058-7

"Figure One:
Understand the procedure now?  Just stop a few of their  machines and
radios and telephones and lawn mowers...throw them into darkness  for a few hours
and then you just sit back and watch the pattern.
Figure Two:
And this pattern is always the same?
Figure One:
With few variations.  They pick the most dangerous enemy  they can
find...and it's themselves.  And all we need to do is sit  back...and watch.
Figure Two:
Then I take it this place...this Maple Street...is not  unique.
Figure One (shaking his head):
By no means.  Their world is full of Maple Streets.   And we'll go from one
to the other and let them destroy themselves.  One to  the other...one to
the other...one to the other..."
-- "The Monsters are Due on Maple Street" by Rod  Serling

"What about his views on the issues? some of his friends  asked.  Wouldn't
voters want to know about them?  Not necessarily,  McCarthy replied.  In his
opinion, voters didn't care all that much about  political issues.  How
they voted depended more on their feelings about a  candidate.  A handshake, a
smile, a personal note on a postcard letting  them know the candidate
remembered them -- those were much more  important."

I have confidence that there will be many a teen out  there who will really
get it.  The teen who reads James Cross Giblin's  very-readable THE RISE
AND FALL OF SENATOR JOE MCCARTHY and then says to a  friend or a friendly
adult:

Okay, now I get it.  This is how politics  works.
Okay, now I get it.  This is how one person can gain  immense power and
randomly destroy honest and innocent people's  lives.
Okay, now I get it.  Information and truth are  manipulated and perverted
by those who have both gained power and mastered the  art of mass
communications.
Okay, now I get it.  Many millions of people  don't even care about
information being manipulated and perverted.   They are so not paying attention to
what is going on in their country or in the  world.
Okay, now I get it.  This is  how nearly-unfathomable geopolitical events
of the twentieth  century came together and have brought us to where we are
today.
Okay, I get all that.  But then my question is  this:

If this is how politics works, and if people like HItler  and McCarthy can
amass power and distort information and ruin and/or end lives  and so many
people are not paying attention until it is too late, then I need to  ask
where the hell are all the hundreds? thousands? of atomic bombs  that were
amassed by a bunch of countries during the tensions heightened by  McCarthy and
his ilk and who the hell are the potential Hitlers and  McCarthys who are
holding the keys to their ignition this very  minute?

Yes, despite the author's optimistic epilogue about the  unlikely
possibility of another McCarthy in America, THE RISE AND FALL OF  SENATOR JOE
MCCARTHY left me feeling somewhat bleak and pessimistic about  the ability of
humanity to see past the perverted, simplistic, and  hateful messages that
demagogues and megalomaniacs continue to feed  the world's masses who continue to
fall, it seems, so consistently for the  handshake and the postcard.  I'd
love to think that Joe McCarthy was a  one-of-a-kind guy.  But you just read
here what Barry Goldwater read into  the Congressional Record when McCarthy
died at 48 about how McCarthy made  America a "brighter, safer, more vigilant
land," the same kind of stuff I heard  when Ronald Reagan died...you just
start worrying that that this nonsense  will go on forever...one to the
other...one to the other...one to the other...or  at least until one of these
self-deluded, power-lusting idiots somewhere in  the world finally decides to
ignite a couple of those nuclear  weapons.

Despite the fact that Hitler killed millions and McCarthy  didn't, I still
believe that, if anything, THE RISE AND FALL OF  SENATOR JOE MCCARTHY is an
even more essential read than is Giblin's Sibert  Medal-winning THE LIFE AND
DEATH OF ADOLF HITLER.  This is  unquestionably the most important and
thought-provoking piece of nonfiction  for young people that I have read so far
this year.

Joe McCarthy lived an interesting and colorful life from  day one.  He was
a hustler.  A successful student but not a  gifted one, he quit school after
eighth grade and became a very successful  teen entrepreneur.  At 20 he
decided to enroll in high school  and then completed four years of study in
nine months before  headed off to college and becoming a lawyer.

McCarthy was a gambler who loved to put all his  chips on a hopeless hand
with an improbable bluff.  He would end up winning  lots of those hands and
never forgot that lesson.  He was a hard drinker  who liked to be seen with
good-looking woman and didn't marry until 44  -- just months before his
personal house of cards began to  fall and just four years before his death from
cirrhosis of the  liver.

His rise was meteoric based on an issue for which he had  passion seemingly
only because it helped him gain  power.

"Once again, as Joe was quick to note, the response revealed  that the
media were more interested in his accusations than in their  accuracy.
"Joe reached another conclusion in the wake of the Cedric  Parker affair:
If charges of disloyalty and subversion could get so much  attention, most of
it favorable, why not make more of them?  On November  11, 1949, in a
speech to the Shriners Club in Madison, he roused the crowd when  he said, 'We
cannot blind our eyes to the fact that we are engaged in a showdown  fight...a
final, all-out battle between Communist atheism and Christian  democracy.'"

Joe McCarthy was a liar and a bully and a cheater, a guy who  just made it
all up as he went along.  He lied about his military service  record and
bluffed his way through his career as Senator in  Washington, D.C. when he
challenged anyone -- including the president -- who he  suspected of getting in
his way.  But, as they say, what goes up must come  down, and Ike eventually
ran out of patience with McCarthy's increasingly  outrageous accusations
and demands.

"President Eisenhower was stunned when told of McCarthy's  diatribe.
According to Jim Hagerty, he paced back and forth in the Oval  Office as he tried
to put his thoughts and feelings into words.  'This  amounts to nothing but
a wholesale subversion of public services,' the president  said.  'McCarthy
is making exactly the same plea of loyalty that Hitler  made to the German
people.  Both tried to set up personal loyalty within  the government while
both were using the pretense of fighting  Communism.
"'McCarthy is trying deliberately to subvert people we have in  government,
people who are sworn to obey the law, the Constitution, and their  superior
officers.  I think this is the most disloyal act we have ever had  by
anyone in the government of the United States.'"

Joe McCarthy spent time wielding what was at one  point arguably the most
power of anyone in the  world.  One hundred years after his birth, the  whole
world is a far more dangerous place for having had Joe McCarthy  in it for
48 years.  THE RISE AND FALL OF SENATOR JOE  MCCARTHY shows in fascinating
and harrowing detail why this is the  case.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://librarything.com/profile/richiespicks_
(http://librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)