I saw this today in the NEA magazine.

Welcome to this Wikipedia Selection. This 2008/9 Wikipedia DVD Selection is a free,
hand-checked, non-commercial selection from Wikipedia, targeted around the UK
National Curriculum and useful for much of the English speaking world. It has about
5500 articles (as much as can be fitted on a DVD with good size images) and is
about the size of a twenty volume encyclopaedia (34,000 images and 20 million
words).
Wikipedia is the free encyclopaedia anyone can edit, and develops accurate content
but suffers vandalism. Wikipedia is not necessarily a childsafe environment and has
"adult" content. This selection of topics have been carefully chosen, tidied up,
and checked for vandalism and suitability (by SOS Children volunteers, whom we
gratefully acknowledge). We also gratefully acknowledge the Wikimedia Foundation
for their support and their agreement to our use of the Wikipedia logo, and tens of
thousands of contributors to Wikipedia who have written and researched the content
in the first place, including this year adding content where gaps in the school
curriculum were not covered.
The content is available for free
download from the SOS Children websiteor as a 3.5GB free DVD. The content includes
a shortened copy of the SOS Children website with details of projects in 123
countries. This selection is also browsable online at http://schools-wikipedia.org/
. The content is covered by various disclaimers and licences.
http://schools-wikipedia.org/
http://www.soschildrensvillages.org.uk/charity-news/2008-wikipedia-for-schools.htm

Josephine
Dervan, MLS -Adjunct Instructor
School of Communication and  Information
Rutgers University
dervan at optonline.net

He who has a library and a garden, wants for nothing- Cicero