A very good question. Absolutely not... The number one reason is that the author
got no, no income from that book. It is strictly for marketing purposes- reviews,
bookseller buzz, librarian buzz (which is why they are given at conferences) It is
perfectly fine to pass on that new science fiction author to the kids who loves the
genre or the new Mike Lupica to the sports kid and say hey let me know what you
think.  Or sometimes I pass one to the School Psychologist for a YA with difficult
issues and I am not sure it is for middle school. I do not keep track of them
though gosh I am pretty sure that galley of Holes made it through the entire 6th
grade like lightning. I often base my ordering multiple copies of a book based on
the the line at my door- hey you said I could read The Lightning Thief next.

And yes there are typos and the occasional change. Sometimes an early reader might
find a factual error in a historic novel and the editor is delighted that someone
caught it early enough to change. If there is something jarring (not just typos) I
do let the editor know.

Lisa

Lisa Von Drasek
Children's Librarian
Bank Street College of Education
School for Children Pre-K- 8
610 West 112th St
NY  NY   10025

lisav@bnkst.edu

212 875 4452

>>> Rosanne Zajko <rmzajko@COMCAST.NET> 07/28/09 10:58 PM >>>
Just wondering....can advance reader copies be added to the catalog for
circulation? Are there many changes (other than typos, etc) from an advanced
readers copy to the final published title? Is there a standard practice for
this?

Rosanne Zajko - Librarian
Ancillae Assumpta Academy
Wyncote, Pa. 19095