Hi, Everyone -

I have received an LSTA grant to develop our biography and history and
geography sections this fall. We need more high interest individual
and collective biographies for reluctant readers (i.e., sports
figures, entertainers, etc.) and subject specific biographies (i.e.,
scientists, historical figures, artists, etc.) to support reading and
research in all areas of the curriculum. I am looking for series with
good research value and high appeal for middle school. I am also
looking for biographies that are good reads and not so much of the
"cookie cutter" variety, (i.e., those written by Freedman, Giblin,
Krull, Meltzer, etc.). I try to avoid individual biographies of
current pop icons who have not been around long enough to be
remembered five years from now unless its something that is well-
written and will withstand the test of time. I rely on Biography Today
to cover some of the pop icons.

As far as history and geography, we need more depth in our Africa and
Asia section. We try to plan research on a variety of social,
political, and economic issues affecting these continents which
require more specialized books than the standard country profiles.
However, it is difficult to find books in these areas that are middle
school friendly. World War II and the 20th century are two other areas
we need to expand, and I am also looking for good primary source
material in US History.

I would appreciate recommendations and would be happy to post a hit.
Thanks.

Becky

Becky Palgi, Media Coordinator/NBCT
Archer Lodge Middle School
762 Wendell Road
Wendell, NC 27591
Personal Email - rdpalgi@mindspring.com
School Email - beckypalgi@johnston.k12.nc.us
"Honor the past, and create the future." - Michael Gorman, "New Laws
of Librarianship" (American Libraries, Sept. 1995)
"In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us
with floaties and teach us how to swim." - Linton Weeks (Washington
Post article, 13 January 2001, p. C01)