I also added in another email to her that I model the behavior we want students to
do--they see me reading.
Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com

From: perrybros@hotmail.com
To: mkurtz@donbosco.org
Subject: reading
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 20:35:57 +0000

There was some discussion of this in the spring I think.  There might be some stuff
in the archives. I didn't mean that as criticism, just trying to help.  I will also
tell you what I do.  I read at work a lot.  I have a study hall I have to monitor
every day.  I read during that.  I read the Rebecca Caudill books (Illinois reading
program), or the Newbery books I haven't read, or a new book I'm not sure where to
put (I'm K-12 so have three collections), etc  I do NOT read my trashy romance or
whatever I'm reading for myself.  I also don't read at other times of the day
unless I have only a couple minutes until the end of the day or something.  The
exception to that is that I also keep a book going over at the grade school.
Because of the crazy way things were built, I have no work area over there, so
can't process books or anything if I have a few minutes between classes, so I read
then.  I do not apologize for my reading.  I'm better able to serve the kids when
I've read more of the collection.  I limit it to times I  can't really be doing
other things, and would defend myself if it ever came up.  I figure I need to be
reading in every free minute just as the classroom teachers are constantly grading
papers.
Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com

Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Search, add, and share the web’s latest sports videos.
Check it out.
http://www.bing.com/search?q=restaurants&form=MLOGEN&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TXT_MLOGEN_Local_Local_Restaurants_1x1