Secret Keeper by Mitali Perkins

Asha, 16, and her older sister, Reet, and her depression-prone mother must live
with traditional relatives when her father leaves India to find work in America.
The independent teen finds the atmosphere stifling and spends time on the rooftop,
where she begins a secret friendship with Jay Sen, the boy living next door.  When
tragedy strikes, and with unwanted marriage proposals being made for attractive
Reet, Asha, keeping a promise to take care of the family, makes an enormous
sacrifice to spare her sister a life of misery.  The novel, published in 2009 and
taking place in the 1970s, is excellent for the themes of moral courage,
responsibility, respect, compassion, self-discipline, and perseverance.

We may sit in our library and yet be in all quarters of the earth.  ~John Lubbock

Basya Karp, Librarian

Shulamith High School and Shulamith School For Girls

Brooklyn, New York

basyak10@hotmail.com

> Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:39:32 -0400
> From: SKnowles@STEDS.ORG
> Subject: Target: Books showing character traits for grades 8-12
> To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>
> The chaplain at our school also teaches a course on Character Education.
> He would like to develop a reading assignment and project for students
> in grades 8-12 based on various character traits/goals.
>
> He was delighted that some of my wonderful LM_NETters might be able to
> suggest appropriate titles for inclusion in the various categories.
> He's looking for books that relate to the following character
> traits/goals:
>

> FAITH (Spiritual Growth)
> MORAL COURAGE (Courage)
>
> RESPONSIBILITY
>
> RESPECT
>
> COMPASSION (Kindness)
>
> INTEGRITY (Honesty)
>
> GOOD JUDGMENT (Wisdom)
>
> Self-Discipline
>
> Perseverance
>
> Fairness
>
> Citizenship
>

> Thanks in advance for all your wonderful suggestions!
>

> Sharon Knowles
>
> Librarian
>
> Saint Edward's School
>
> Vero Beach, FL
>
> sknowles@steds.org
>

> At the moment that we persuade a child, any child, to cross that
> threshold, that magic threshold into a library, we change their lives
> forever, for the better. ~~Barack Obama
>

> Research shows the highest achieving students attend schools with good
> library media centers. Keith Curry Lance

> You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
> by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to: listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET
> 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL
> 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>
> * LM_NET Help & Information: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/
> * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
> * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/join.html
> * LM_NET Supporters: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/

Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailŪ.