Dear 'Netters,

I'm relatively new to Librarianship (I'm just completing my first year as an
Elementary Teacher-Librarian) but I'm not new to the book world.  This post
is in response to a "vent" about wishing for ARC - advance readers copies -
of books that are being reviewed when they won't be available in bookstores
for months.

I'd like to challenge all of you to begin to "think locally."  Think of the
budget you were entrusted with this year to buy materials for your
collection--did you spend it in your own city/state?  Have you contacted an
independent bookstore in your area to see whether they can meet or exceed
the service you receive from the 'big box' stores or jobbers?

In my previous career, I worked as the manager of an independent bookstore.
We received dozens, even HUNDREDS of ARCs during the course of a year.  I
was happy to read them and pass them along to other readers--particularly
educators.  I was also excited to interact with the schools as a real part
of the larger community.  We hosted field trips!  We had high school
students job shadow our employees!  We cooperated with schools to bring
authors to town!  Although we looked small, we had the ability to make large
orders AND deliver them.  Many-a-time did boxes fill my car to bursting.  I
developed relationships with teachers and librarians that enabled me to call
them up or jot them an email, saying "Did you hear about THIS new book?" and
tailor suggestions to their styles and students.  I was proud to give real
value to my customer, in many more ways than just an affordable price.

So, next time you're contemplating a purchase, consider where your want your
dollars to go.  If a local business can do it just as well, for an
equivalent cost, I URGE you to "buy in" to your own community.  For every
one dollar spent at an independent business, fifty cents is reinvested
locally.  However, for every dollar spent at a chain, only twelve cents
comes back.  By helping local businesses succeed, you create jobs, you
support the very families that attend your school.  If families can work and
live in your town, then taxes get paid!  And when taxes get paid, schools
get programs! ...and so on and so forth.  Look into the "Multiplier Effect"
if you arent' familiar with this concept.

 I'm not suggesting that you fire your jobber and prepare all your books by
hand (although its an option!) but consider all those OTHER purchases, when
perhaps you might automatically turn to Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Borders.
Instead, find your local, get to know them, and give them a chance.  There
is an iPhone app (free) and a website that will help you to locate your
closest independent stores:  www.indiebound.org

Thanks, colleagues.  Enjoy your summer and relish your town!

--
Carrie Elizabeth Martinet
Teacher Librarian