My original post:
How do you handle teachers signing up to use computer labs in the media
center or laptop carts that are housed in the media center?  Do any of you
use some sort of online scheduling system?  What are the pros and cons of
whatever method you use.

I have  a shared calendar in our email system. The teachers can see it
but can't write to it.  They have to email me.  It seems to work great
for us except some teachers don't like to check it.
****
I make teachers come in to sign up, because then I can ask what the kids will be
doing.  Many times, I can then offer help, make suggestions, etc.  Doesn't work if
they are just typing, but even then, I can get an idea of what individual teachers
are teaching.
****
We just have paper sign-up sheets for each lab and for the library.
****
I use Google calendars.  I made one for each lab, and then I posted them online so
the teachers can view the availability of the computers labs from home or their
classroom computers.
****
First come, first served. I only allow signing up a month at a time, though, to
give everyone a chance to use either the lab or the carts. Teachers can either
email me a request or come see me and I sign them up in my trusty blue book. I try
not to allow teachers to sign themselves up because some can be real hogs!
****
Hi! We have an online system in place for everything and anything that
can be signed out... laptop carts, projectors, stage/auditorium, etc.

Pros

* Anyone in the district can access it, so spaces can be booked for
   meetings, inservices, etc.
* it's quick and easy
* You can plan for the entire year (I booked a cart every Monday
   afternoon from 12-3 from September to June in one sitting)
* It provides documentation of use to justify purchasing more computers,
   projectors, etc.

Cons
* If someone's plans change they often forget to update the status of
   the cart. It requires constant viewing in order to maintain an
   accurate schedule, which teachers often don't have time to do since
   they are teaching.

* Anyone in the district can sign it out (this was a pro also, but it
   doesn't prioritize building/student need)

But- much of the same was true with the old paper/pencil method. Good luck!
****
I use Google calendar and it works great.  The teachers email me and I
post the schedule.  I have a link to the computers labs on my web site
so the teachers can see the lab schedules
from home.
****
Currently we have a manual method--a form on a clipboard at the desk.
****
I've created a shared GoogleSpreadsheet that teachers can sign up on from anywhere.
 Here's a link to view; our teachers have editing privileges.  If you have
Googleapps, feel free to save as a new copy and then you can change it any way you
wish!

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=p5MYmtfqrkTzaBQKACIq5eA

****
We use a low-tech system: home-made scheduling on paper. Each summer our
IT guy, who is in charge of the general computer lab, makes 10 pages,
one for each month, with a cell for each period of each day. He blocks
out Saturday, Sunday, and any scheduled vacations. Teachers sign up for
whatever periods they want. If someone is already signed up, teachers
will either change their plans or talk to the other teacher in hopes of
a trade.

I do something similar, except that mine are a week at a time, and each
period is divided in half, since sometimes teachers want to spend some
time with their class in the room before coming to the library. Again,
first come, first served, and negotiation is suggested.
****
I have several online calendars that I have been using for people to sign up
for library time, computers, and equipment.  Here is my high school library
calendar link:  http://www.brs.cgresd.net/sherrod/hs/week.php

For the middle school, we have two separate labs that we don't supervise,
but have volunteered to oversee the scheduling.  This online calendar is the
next generation of the above one and I will be upgrading all my old ones to
this:  http://www.brs.cgresd.net/middle/comlab/week.php

I have my teachers indicate big or small lab in their description so it
shows up when others are signing up.

Here is the WebCalendar home page link.  It is FREE!!!
http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php
****
We have a calendar posted on our shared network drive. Teachers can go
online and sign up first come, first serve!
****
We use a self-designed and made to happen by the web master online sign up system.
All teachers have a unique password so they can add or subtract their names to the
library or labs schedule.  I have the power to make changes to any name; teachers
can only change their own name.

http://www.selah.k12.wa.us/JHS/Labs/LogIn.cfm pick Doll, Krista and use the
password changeme to see inside the workings.
****
we have had 2 imcs (instructional media centers/libraries).  the schedule
books had been kept in one central location THEN we each gained mobile
computer carts so we went to having schedule books in the IMCs.  in each
imc/library we had one schedule book for the computer lab, one for the
imc area/space and the desktop computers and one for the mobile computer
carts.  6 potential locations for scheduling.
one location for all the schedule books was nice for teachers to see
what was available when.  multiple locations helped us when people
called asking to schedule a space and the books were in the central
location rather than an individual imc/library.
would like to use a google calendar to electronically schedule.  worry
about changing schedules behind someone's back.  training would be
another issue to start out.  we have 120+ staff members so sometimes
smaller school have an easier time taking on new projects.
not having it online, people do call wanting to book, check, etc.
****
Lab sign-up is done through our email server (Outlook). I set up a shared calendar
that all teachers can access. It's a great process with little management from me.
I really encourage them to use that, but I still get some questions like "has
anyone signed-up for the lab today?" Grrrr, it's a work in progress.

Technology items are signed out through our library management system (Destiny).
The teacher requests the item in person or via email and I check it out and get it
to them. Usually this is digital cameras. Occasionally I get a request for an LCD
projector or video camera and tri-pod. All teachers have an overhead projector in
their room so they don't check those out. I really like this method. I'm alone in
the media center so it's sometimes tough to check out and teacher, but I make it
work.
****
We simply have a sign-up sheet outside the lab.  It is for
each day and broken down to each bell.
****
The sign-in for Computer Labs and Mobile carts is done through outlook.
****
 We use Google Calendars. It's a pain to set up; every person who views it must be
invited. But once it's done, it's pretty easy to use.  The only real fault that I
can see (which we don't have this problem in our small school) is if a staff member
chooses to remove another teacher and put themselves in that time slot. It's
available from anywhere, and it's free.
****
Our teachers sign up through the outlook express calendars. Each item, LMC,
Lab, laptop cart 1 and 2 etc have their own calendar and we just log in and
sign up.
So far it has worked fairly well.
****
I use a calendar that is part of our district email program. The
teachers can look at the calendar, but they can not post to it. They
send the request to me and I put it on the actual calendar. They can
view it online since we have access to our email at home. The teachers
like this convenience.
****

When an online system did not work for us, we went to really BIG monthly calendars
mounted on the wall.  It is in a very busy corridor, outside the computer room, and
teachers pass by several times each day.  A dry-erase pen hangs high enough to be
out of the reach of little hands, and teachers can fill in 40-minute slots as they
pass in the hall.  We have rules about how many slots a teacher can book at the
beginning of a month, but the rules become looser as the month advances.  It has
been very successful, and teachers love the visual.
****
I use Google calendar and I love it.  You should be able to access it at
https://www.google.com/accounts
You just have to set up a g-mail account which is handy anyway for another place to
get e-mail and it also provides other features such as Google docs.
I made a calendar of each lab and the laptop carts. All the links to the calendars
are on my library web page and the school's website.  Teachers can look at the
calendar to see what is available and e-mail me with the lab they want, the day and
periods.  I really can't think of any cons because I haven't had any problems with
it.  Well, once the school's internet filter blocked access to one of the
calendars, but that wasn't the fault of the program.
****
See ours...seems to work OK. We schedule one weekly time and the
other use is sign-up. (My school is elementary and is called
Westernport.) Of course, like in the days of only one TV per floor
(or grade), someone always pushes to the limit re using the lab.
http://labs.allconet.org
****

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Sandy Norfolk, NBCT, Teacher-Librarian
Excelsior Middle School, Marion, IA  52302
snorfolk@linnmar.k12.ia.us
319-447-3134/3135