From: "janet perry" <perrybros@HOTMAIL.COM>
To: "LM NET" <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
Sent: Monday, June 8, 2009 6:42:57 AM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Life as we knew it

I, too absolutely loved Life as we Knew It.  I'm going to elaborate a little on
Frederick Muller's review as I think it might help sell the book.  It starts out
with a typical teenage girl having everyday problems with friends, boys, mother,
etc.  But then the asteroid hits, and everything changes.  It then becomes a
survival story as Mr. Muller says.  Here where I live we have almost yearly ice
storms where people can be without power for up to a week or two.  I ask the kids
how many of them have had that happen to them, and then tell them the book reminded
me of the many times I've been in that position.  It seems to get some kids
interested since they can relate.  As to the end.  It was very satisfying unlike
some other books I've read where they try to make all the unusual stuff or powers
that ordinary people have during the book resolve rationally at the end. Life as we
Knew It was on the Illinois Rebecca Caudill list this year, and it was my favorite
book.  I hope some of you can sell it to your kids next year.

Currently reading Wednesday Wars

Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com