Thanks to all those LM_netters who responded passionately to my plea for advice on
an upcoming trip to Glacier (with husband and 5 kids!)

Here are the highlights:
BRING:   warm clothes and closed toe shoes (snow even in July/August) , field
glasses (to spot the mountain goats!), bug spray (expensive if bought there),
camera and sunscreen.

DO or SEE:  Going to the Sun road (may not be open end to end until after July 4th
but EVERYONE suggests this is not to be missed)-- Iceberg Lake--Trial of the
Cedars-- the lobby of Lake McDonald Lodge (a perfect example of what is called
"Park-i-techture") --Hike around Lake McDonald at Apgar Village--Mount Reynolds --
go white-water rafting on the North Fork of the Flathead River, just outside the
park--Travel the length of the Going-To-the-Sun road and be sure to get huckleberry
ice cream cones at the end in St. Marys--Stand under the waterfalls by the side of
the road as you ascend--Stop and see the mountain sheep midway up -- at the summit
of the trip get out and take a hike to Mirror Lake -- local rodeo -- fishing --
Columbia Falls Waterslides --hike to Avalanche Lake via the Trail of the Cedars
(about 6 miles) -- outside of the park, Flattop Lake area is
also quite beautiful.-- Waterton (Canada) area esp Red Rock Canyon drive  --stop at
Logan Pass and see the mountain goats. - "drive through" Bear Park somewhere
outside the western boundary of the park --

HELPFUL ADVICE:  Take turns driving because the driver has to pay close attention
to the road and doesn't get to see much.
Hike!   Watch out for bears.  (altho some said they didn't see any) Eat light
before traveling winding roads.
Try Trip advisor - it has forums and people provide feedback based on their
experiences. You can post questions, just read the forums, and get oodles of info.
I've used their advise on locations all over the world and find it invaluable. The
people who respond are primarily travelers, or expats living in the country, but in
this case would be travelers an native MT. Try googling Trip Advisor, it is well
worth it.
catch one of the ranger programs on the effects of global warming, it is so
worthwhile to hear.

NOTABLE QUOTES from visitors to the park "One of the most amazing places I have
ever seen, would go back every year if we could."
"I love Glacier...it restores my soul."

Thanks again.
Happy travels, wherever YOU go!            ` Marcia

Marcia Dressel, K-5 Librarian @ the
Elementary and Intermediate Schools
Osceola, WI
dressel@osceola.k12.wi.us <mailto:dressel@osceola.k12.wi.us>