I had requested some ideas for a 4th grade read aloud.  I received a lot of
suggestions.  Thanks much!  I am reading Star Jumper by Frank Asch to the 4th
graders, and they are loving it!

Here are the responses....
just read Iditarod Dream to my 4th graders. About the Junior Iditarod.

Ruby's Wish

is Time Warp Trio too simple?  I love Summer Reading is Killing Me - I have kids
try to guess which books the characters are from.

Also, Bunnicula is pretty short.

I LOVE Lightning Thief by Riordan or Poppy by Avi (this is the best read
aloud ever, when I was in the 4th grade classroom, I read it every year)

One of my teachers has read The Tale of Despereaux, Because of Winn Dixie, and is
now working on The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.  Next, she plans to use
some of the Roald Dahl books that the kids have seen in movie versions - Matilda,
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and James and the Giant Peach.  I think she
pretty much has the rest of her year covered.  Earlier this year she read some of
the Joey Pigza books and they loved those, too.

Currently I have 75+ fourth graders who sit quietly and listen, with  much
laughter, while I am reading Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key. I highly recommend it!
While it may be longer than you want, I am quite impressed with the depth of their
attention and desire to hear 'just one more chapter!'

1.  NO Talking! by Andrew Clements.  It's about 5th graders, but it's a great read
aloud.

2.  Beyond the Deepwoods                       Paul Stewart/Chris Riddell

3.  The Beastly Arms                                Patrick Jennings

4.  Belle Prater’s Boy                               Ruth White

5.  Diary of a Wimpy Kid                            Jeff Kinney

6.  Hoot                                                     Carl Hiaason

Our 4th graders have enjoyed The Truth About Sparrows by Marian Hale. I always
introduce it with  "the cover is not inviting, but..." Several teachers have used
it as a read-aloud after I suggested it. Many tie-ins for current economic times,
as it is set in the Depression. Please post a hit of the other suggestions you
receive.

Try The Winner's Walk or the Graveyard Ghost. Both of these were on the VA
Reader's Choice list this year and are popular.

Hi.  Clementine (by Pennypacker), Gooney Bird Greene (by Lowry) or Moxy
Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little (by Gifford and Fisher) all have really
fun characters and aren't too long.

http://txla.org/groups/tba/index.html has the best books for this grade
level. I read all 20 of this years books. Though the winner is a little
short, the others are fantastic. I would begin with One-Handed Catch, or
the Invention of Hugo Cabret. There is a great intro to Hugo online that
shows the first 40 pages or so.

How about FLYING SOLO by Ralph Fletcher
                 NO MORE DEAD DOGS By Gordon Korman
                 SIXTH GRADE NICKNAME GAME by Korman
                NIGHTMARE AT THE BOOK FAIR by Dan Gutman is great-has all genres of
childrens' lit

Peter and the Starcatchers by Barry has been very popular.
Also, The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs by Birney
The Penderwicks by Birdsall
Each Little Bird That Sings by Wiles
Magellan Voyage Project by Evans
The Homework Machine by Gutman
Stumptown Kid by Gorman

I've been reading Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry to my sixth graders, and they
are loving it! It's about a class of 2nd graders, so I'm sure Gr. 4's would love it
as well, it's not too long, and it has lots of breaks which makes it great for read
aloud. It's one of my favourite books.

DiCamillo's The Tale of Despereaux goes by very qui\ckley, as does Wiles' each
little bird that sings.

You might want to check out Frank Asch's Journals of a Cardboard Genius. The
style is along the lines of the Martin Bridge books but the content is a lot
more engaging and complex. Plus it has a great relationship between an older
and a younger brother.

You can check out the series here:
http://www.kidscanpress.com/US/Search.aspx?k=357&type=4&p=0&itemsperpage=10&;
s=SortTitle+ASC