Original Post: Our school is beginning a Character Ed Program titled Random Acts of
Kindness. I have been asked to read aloud to 4th/5th graders related books. Here
are the responses I've received. Thanks!!
Not
        knowing how much time you have to read to your students, one series
        of books I like to read from are the "Chicken Soup for the
        Teenage / Kids Soul." I try to locate a story or two about a
        particular topic; read it to the class, and then discuss afterward.
        The kids seem to relate pretty well to the books/stories. -Evelyn W.
        Reakes

        How
        about Ordinary Mary's Extraordinary Deed by Pearson or One Smile
        by McKinley. These books are a little young but can show the
        impact of a good deed. It's the "pass it on " approach.
        -Janet Moser

         T.A.
        Barron is a champion of young people's character. He has the
        picture book HIGH AS A HAWK which is about courage and persistence.
        Then, he has the wonderful LOST YEARS OF MERLIN series in which
        young Merlin, who does not know his own name at the outset, journeys
        through 5 books and especially in the SEVEN SONGS OF MERLIN, has to
        figure out what is truly important. At one point he has a flowering
        harp and he goes to see old friends and expects them to really value
        him for his harp. Instead they tell him they value their friends for
        what they bring in their hearts. (Cool, huh?) So, thought I'd pass
        those along. His MERLIN'S DRAGON (the first book so far in a new
        trilogy) is equally powerful because young Basil is trying to find
        out who he is and trying to find his own kind and wants to feel big
        and powerful and have a sense of identity. As usual it's adventure
        filled but Barron's imagination and his use of sensory images are in
        a class by themselves. He's amazing. THE WELL by Taylor. It's not
        that long but really packs a punch. I really like LOSER by Jerry
        Spinelli and RULES by Cynthia Lord. You might also want to take a
        look at the winners of the Schneider Award that is given for books
        that deal with children with
        disabilities. REACHING FOR THE SUN I believe is the title of
        one and WAITING FOR NORMAL won this year. Sometimes picture books
        work with this age group as well and SHRINKING
        VIOLET would be a good one, THE OTHER SIDE by Jacqueline
        Woodson is awesome of course. -Barb Langridge

        Kindness
        was the focus for our Character Ed program in February. I
        used Patricia
        Polacco's
        "The Lemonade Club" for 5th grade. (Note - this is
        a picture
        book format
        - but written for older children and it can be done in one
        library lesson). It is a true story based on Polacco's own
        experience of having a child with leukemia.My students really
        liked it. -Maria Sogegian
-Candice Sheerer, SLMS
Otisville Elementary
Otisville, NY 10963