Dear LM_NET members;

I've read this discussion with great interest and wondered what the advantages
might be to utilizing a Facebook or MySpace account to connect with students,
parents, etc. vs. a school library web-page that would be open to everyone in the
community, not just persons who have been invited to view.?

This is another concern that might exist regarding having a Facebook or Myspace
page as some might interpret this (an invitation to view) as being favoritism
towards specific students where a school library web-page would be equal and open
access to all students, parents, etc.? When I was undergoing my national board
certification in library media back in 2004, this was a big issue - equal and open
access to information and?technology for all students.?

 I know that there are different accounts and different privacy settings available,
depending upon how you wish to utilizie these social networking sites.?

BTW,?we do process serving and investigation for different attorneys in our state,
and we have used both sites (Facebook and MySpace) to help track down people (not
former students) who are trying to avoid being served with papers regarding
divorce, foreclosures, etc.? We also look at the profiles of the people who are
visiting their sites to gain more information about the work locations, social
habits, family backgrounds, etc.? It has been helpful in locating two defendants
within the last month.? Neither of their settings was set to "private" so we had
free and open access to read all their messages.?

Deborah Maehs, ret. SLMS (2007)
formerly @ Kingfisher Middle School
P.O. Box 29
Kingfisher, OK? 73750