Hi All,
As with any new service and this is what is being proposed here, some
situational analysis needs to be conducted.
What is the purpose of the new service - FaceBook site say? Guidelines
and porcedures for use/interactions (because this is public domain)
maintenance and updating? Budgeting - workload, time and people, costs
for extra bandwirdth? How will we evaluate and monitor wehther the aims
& objectives/purpose has been achieved.

Too many times we set these things up without doing the planning. If you
intend to use these technologies to achieve curriculum
objectives/outcomes then this needs to be part of the assessment
process.

Q - I wonder haow many kids actually want us in this space which is
essentially a social space? I often think that we are rushing headlong
into this without asking some of the hard questions because the agenda
is being driven large corporations who have a vested interest in
educators taking this stuff on board to make more corporate dollars. We
need to come back to educational outcomes and essentials of service
provision for libraries.
:)
BC

Vice President, Advocacy & Promotion, IASL: www.iasl-online.org
LIS@ECU: http://www.chs.ecu.edu.au/portals/LIS/index.php
Australian School Library Research Project:
http://www.chs.ecu.edu.au/portals/ASLRP/
Barbara Combes, Lecturer
School of Computer and Information Science Edith Cowan University, Perth
Western Australia
Ph: (08) 9370 6072
Email: b.combes@ecu.edu.au

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant nation." Walter Cronkite

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error,
please notify me immediately by return email or telephone and destroy
the original message.