From: Mary Ann Bell <drmaryannbell@GMAIL.COM>
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] Facebook
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Date: Sunday, March 15, 2009, 11:29 AM

I have to disagree about the advice to stay completely away from Facebook.
That is where our students live. Many libraries have fan pages there. You
may want to refrain from having a personal page unless but you should be
aware of Facebook. I recently had the great pleasure to attend the WiredKids
Summit (thanks, Art Wolinsky), and I was on the receiving end of surveys and
presentations made by kids and for kids. Many were about Facebook and
aspects of its use. Here are some reasons to at least be familiar with
Facebook and how it works:
1. It is where many kids live. Malls and parks may be too dangerous for them
to venture alone also, depending on where you live and where they may go.
Would you stay away from malls and parks because bad things may happen
there?
2. If you are a parent, you need to be knowledgeable. By friending your own
offspring, and possible nieces, nephews, grandchildren, etc,. you can be
aware of this important part of their lives
3. How can you teach kids to be safe and smart if you are not up to speed on
what really matters to them regarding their online use? Studies show that
kids whose parents are online WITH them are much safer users than those who
just stay away.
4. Fear based instruction does not work for online safety than it does for
sex ed or driving or any other topic.
5. Read Nancy Willard's works on this topic.
Cheers, mabell

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 7:17 AM, DiGregorio, David <
ddigregorio@tenafly.k12.nj.us> wrote:

> My strong advice regarding Facebook:
> STAY AWAY FROM IT. It has NO place in what we do.
> You will risk getting yourself into BIG trouble. This is no place for
> any of us.
> David
>

> www.librarymedia.net
> ddigregorio@tenafly.k12.nj.us
> Tel.  201-816-6617
> Cell. 201-696-8062
>
> David Di Gregorio
> Supervisor Library Media Services
> Tenafly High School
> 19 Columbus Drive
> Tenafly, NJ 07670
> USA

>  You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>  by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
>  3) SET LM_NET MAIL  4) SET LM_NET DIGEST  * Allow for confirmation.
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/ven.html
>  * LM_NET Wiki: http://lmnet.wikispaces.com/

"Try Curiosity!"--Dorothy Parker
Dr. Mary Ann Bell
Associate Professor
Sam Houston State University
A Member of the Texas State University System
Department of Library Science
lis_mah@shsu.edu
drmaryannbell@gmail.com