I totally agree with you Wendy.  I'm also a huge fan and user of Web 2.0
types of social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, Warhammer, etc., but
these are all part of my own private social network and unrelated to my work
life.  As far as communicating with parents I prefer using different Web 2.0
tools.  Personally for me I like to keep my social networks for my social
life.  For school what I have is a blog and a wiki page.
www.mopabook.edublogs.org
www.mopawiki.wikispaces.org
This way anybody can see the information about the library and books and
they don't have to "sign" up for anything to keep up to date with what's
going on in the library.  These are still works in progress as it's only my
second year as a school librarian.

Personally I feel it's important to keep current with the trends to see what
is important to students and also as teachers of media literacy, but I don't
feel a need to include all of them in a professional capacity at work.  I
would personally not add students or parents to my facebook or myspace page
as I feel that would be mixing my personal and professional life, and I'd
rather keep those separate--just my personal preference.

If you can't tell I feel very passionately about this issue. I got a bit of
an early headstart on the whole digital generation as my father is an IT
administrator and I've been on computers for the last twenty-four years.
(I'm 30 years old by the way--if you're interested)  I have basically two
digital personas--my personal one which I keep private for my friends and
family and my professional one which is open to the public

For those of you who are interested in learning more about Web 2.0 tools
available on the Internet I would suggest browsing the Go2Web 2.0. website
Some of them are obviously for personal use, but there are also some good
tools that could be used in schools as well: http://www.go2web20.net/
I periodically check it and it helps me feel like I'm keeping in touch with
the trends.
I've found some excellent tools for myself personally and professionally.

Katherine Witt
Librarian
Middle Ogden Preparatory Academy
Ogden, UT