I use FB to share Book Club information with my high school students
regarding upcoming events. I value this tool as an open line of
communication. Many students have sought homework help from me on Facebook,
24-7! Regarding Facebook as a 21st Century Literacy tool, maybe this will
help explain its value: *Collaboration--Students practice cyber-etiquette by
listening and responding to others with respect and giving positive
feedback, when appropriate. *Collaboration--Students understand how social
media tools can be used effectively in the learning process. *Using writing
skills to communicate new understandings effectively--Students compare /
contrast emerging social media per best choice of global communication.
*Connect learning to community issues--Students develop a willingness to
share learning with a community of learners. *Ethics and safety--Students
follow ethical and legal guidelines in acquiring and sharing information.
Students practice online safety in the exchange of information, ideas and
communication. Most importantly, this last one shows that social media tools
allow our students to learn: *Students understand their online behavior in
exchanging ideas and information enhances self-enlightenment, academic
pride, and social and ethical responsibilities. (Note: Students should be
carefully guarded in their use of any Internet resource by parents and
teachers.) Now, isn''t Facebook an appropriate online tool to practice these
21st Century learning behaviors?

I view Facebook no differently from Twitter, Flickr, PBWiki, etc.   I am an
engaged  21st Century Educator, modeling appropriate online behavior and
providing assistance to high school students and former ones, too. As a
teacher librarian, I am compelled to teach responsible use of 21st Century
communicative tools. These are great public spaces, or networks, for the
educator to provide professional guidance, no different than if I saw these
same students at a game, mall, or other public space. If asked for homework
help, or if they were acting inappropriately, or if they wished to just say
hello, I would respond the same as if I were speaking to them in Facebook,
or other networked environment.

I do value Facebook for touching base with family members  across the
country and personal friendships which I have developed over the years. As
for students, I use this environment to:
1. publicized upcoming Book Club events or Library happenings
2. promote reading and discuss new titles
3. give homework assistance (no different, from my "Ask a Librarian"
services in our online research resources)
4.  guide a student towards responsible online use

*Carol VanHook
Iowa Teacher Librarian
SE Polk School District
vanhookc@se-polk.k12.ia.us