I've been mulling it all around myself and have come to the conclusion that Destiny
(the Follett program) will do all those things that people are saying are the
reasons they are using the social networking sites to promote their library.

1.  You can set Destiny to open to a library homepage where you could post all
sorts of links to authors, book lists and other things.  Or, you can set it to open
right in the search window.

2.  You can turn on the calendar feature so the patrons can see up coming events.

3.  Book chats.  Destiny has a book reivew feature that if you sell it as a book
chat, you can get discussions of books going.  It is totally moderated!  And now
editable.

4.  Patrons can recommend books to each other.  Just think of the sharing this
could generate.  We do need to have this tweaked.  Right now, the comments are not
previewed by the T-L.  Either we need to be able to preview the comments, or have
the ability to turn it off.  I'm leaning towards just turning off the comments box.
 Let them just see a title and who recommended.

5.  It is right there, you do not have to maintain another page and you can have
your students of all ages viewing your page, posting and using these features.
When a student tells you about something, you can plop right down and add or
delete.  No waiting to go home and work where the school filter isn't blocking you
from doing your work of promoting your library.

6.  And the best!  It is totally out in the open, EVERYBODY can view the book
discussions.  Nothing can ever be said about inappropriate contacts.  (Okay, see
number 4.)

Jean

R. Jean Gustafson
Teacher-Librarian