If you are in the practice of partying with your son's friends (who go to school
where you work) and posting the pictures on FB (like in the link that was sent -
http://tech.msn.com/news/articlecnet.aspx?cp-documentid=18747391&gt1=40000), then
it's probably a really bad idea to friend any of your students on FB!
But if you use FB to stay in touch with old friends, network with your peers, and
communicate with your students using a medium they embrace, I don't see the big
deal. It really depends on your comfort level with FB and why you want to use it.
I am in elementary school so I don't have to decide whether or not to "friend," but
if I were in a HS I would probably friend my students but in a very controlled way.
I would set my privacy settings to whatever I was comfortable with. Which, in my
case, since I am a super boring nerdy person, would probably include everything
except pictures posted by other people...because you can't control that, although
you can control how they "tag" the pictures, but only after they've "tagged them
initially. If I was slightly more racy or had an altar ego away from school or I
was a very private person or if I were just not comfortabe with it - then I
wouldn't friend my students. It  seems like common sense to me!
I am FB friends with a woman I went to high school with who herself teaches high
school and she is FB friends with some of her students. I have seen her un-friend
kids who are inappropriate. She doesn't post anything inappropriate on her page. FB
is not just about pictures of people partying or wearing too few clothes. I think
it can be used very effectively with kids if, as an adult, you behave like an
adult.

Adrienne Ehlert Bashista
Media Coordinator
Lead Technology Teacher
Virginia Cross Elementary School
234 Cross School Rd.
Siler City, NC 27344
agbashista@chatham.k12.nc.us

****This Message was sent through the Chatham County Schools E-Mail Server****

All e-mail correspondence to and from this address is subject to the
North Carolina Public Records Law, which may result in monitoring and
disclosure to third parties, including law enforcement.