From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Elizabeth Fox
Sent: Tuesday, March 24, 2009 1:57 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: GEN: Reading the Bible

Here's another perspective to consider: Were the kids reading when they
were
supposed to be listening?  I have kids who regularly get in trouble for
reading fiction in class when they are supposed to be paying attention.
also know of kids who read the Bible during the evolution lessons, and
the
teacher has no control over this, because the parents have asked for
"exceptions." There are kids at our school who believe the fossil record
is
all in error and have actually asked me to remove some of our geology
books.

Not to start a firestorm, but this may have been taken out of context; I
have a very hard time believing teachers would say they can't read the
Bible
at school.  I also have heard students say these sorts of things about
teachers when they have been caught doing something inappropriate.   For
example, I caught a kid skipping class in the library, listening to a
streaming session of a Fallwell-like preacher online when he was
supposed to
be in geometry.

When I tried to send him back to class he refused, so I called the vice
principal on him.   Then he told the VP that I refused to allow him his
"religious freedom."

I don't know about you, but allowing a kid to skip class and use our
limited
bandwidth to listen to a holy roller broadcast is not my idea of
promoting
religious freedom. There are a LOT of kids out there who do believe that
their religious fervor gives them rights that others should honor, no
matter
what.

Just my 2 cents - there's always another side to the story,
Liz

Elizabeth Fox, Technology Instructor
Newport High School, Newport, OR
keokuk@casco.net (pm)
Liz.fox@lincoln.k12.or.us (schooldays only)

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu

 * LM_NET Supporters:
http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/