If it is true that adding students as friends on Facebook is tantamount
to attending a rave, then would it not be a good thing to add as many
students as possible to our friends list?  If I am not mistaken,  a rave
is a wild party that involves teens imbibing large amounts of alcohol
and taking any number of illicit drugs, right?  And these affairs go on
without adult supervision, right?  Wouldn't an adult crashing the party
be a GOOD thing?  Most professional educators would break up the party
if it were out of hand.  Or perhaps the mere presence of a teacher at
the site of a rave would be enough to turn the whole thing into a tea
party.  I believe adult presence on Facebook can be a good thing because
if we are professional educators then are intent should be noble.  We
should be interested in the welfare of our students.  We should also
keep accounts that we can be proud to admit to creating (and that can
serve as models of appropriate Facebook use).  Why should a professional
need to be scared of keeping a Facebook account and befriending students
if their account and contact with students is respectable?  What does
this fear tell us?  Is their an overwhelming consensus that educators
are unprofessional individuals that cannot be trusted to behave
appropriately and respectfully when communicating to students via a Web
2.0 technology?  Or perhaps we fear rising to this auspicious occasion
that would offer us a chance to lead by example?  Do we cower in
apprehension and self-loathing while permitting this "online rave" to
continue on?  I am just curious...

Stacey Wicksall
swicksall@rochester.rr.com
Intermediate Teacher-Librarian