I recently found out that next year my position will be cut to a 3/4 time position.
This is very frustrating partially due to the pay cut (I can't afford it) and the
fact that the library will be un-staffed 1+ days/week. When I pointed out that
there was more that I do more than just teach classes, such as pullingbook
collections for teachers to use, I was told the teachers would just have to do more
of the work themselves. I think that the Head of school just looked at my teaching
schedule (which could easily be done in 3 days) and did not take all of the other
work that I do into account. I am not the only position being cut. We've all been
told the cuts are not negotiable and will be permanent. I am in the process of
writing a letter that expresses my concerns about not having a fully staffed
library. I plan to include research that shows the value of a full-time school
librarian as well explain all of the work that I currently do. I do not expect
 that it will change anything, but at least it's something. In the meantime, I am
looking for a new job. This is also frustrating, since there are currently no jobs
in this area. I have my MLS, but am not a certified teacher, which puts me out of
the market for most schools (other than private ones like where I currently work).
I would consider switching to the public library, but none of the libraries in this
area are hiring. Any advice would be welcome. At this point, I feel that I have to
sign my contract for next year, as it's better than nothing, but I really don't
want to work somewhere that I don't feel valued.

 Lee Ann Kee
Librarian
St. Richard's School
Indianapolis, IN