From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Jacqueline Henry
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 8:08 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Share: Fun Reading Activity for high school students

Just had to share.  Our whole literacy committee attended a workshop the
other day about school libraries and literacy, presented by Pam Berger.
One of the teachers and I just tried out a suggested activity.  "Speed
Dating for Books".

We are having SO much fun with it.  I have piled stacks of books all
over the tables.  When the class comes in, they choose a table to sit
and pick a book that appeals to them.  They are given 5 minutes to "get
to know" the book they pick up.  After 5 minutes - everyone goes to a
different table.  If the first book they read has really grabbed them -
they can check it out and go sit on the bean bag chairs and read the
rest of the time.  If the first book did not grab them - they choose a
book from the 2nd table and give it 5 more minutes.  We had them switch
4 times.  Then the teacher told them it was time to make a final
decision on which book they were going to take out for a longer "date".
The kids really enjoyed it.  It was a very peaceful activity as the kids
descended into the books.  It gave kids a "method" for choosing books.
It gave kids an opportunity to share about books that were on the table
that they had already read.  Lots of fun was had by all!

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way." ~ The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03

"Education is not about filling a pail, it's about lighting a fire."  ~
William Butler Yeats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)
Gananda Central School District
3195 Wiedrick Road
P.O. Box 609
Macedon, NY  14502
315-986-3521 x 3144
jhenry@gananda.org
Library Page: http://www.gananda.org/webpages/hslibrary/
Blog - Library Links For Teachers: http://rachslibrary.edublogs.org/
Blog - Wanderings
http://wanderings.edublogs.org/

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu

 * LM_NET Supporters:
http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/