Thank you to everyone who answered my request.  My workshop is shaping
up quite nicely.  And  as long as  I don't look at Chris Betcher's
FABULOUS workshop - I feel pretty ok about it.  particularly since it is
definitely a bare-bones basic intro to the topic.  Most folks in our
district barely recognize the term podcasting - so it will be OK.
Should anyone really wants to start podcasting in a big way - Chis's
podcasting workshop for teachers is absolutely AWESOME!!  See the url
below.

If anyone REALLY wants to see my workshop - please let me know and I
will share the url and password.  There is some copyright protected
content, so i have had to use a password.

Below is the content that has been shared with me, along with 1 or 2
things I picked up elsewhere.  As always - thank you to this awesome
comminity!

--------------------------

PODCASTING WORKSHOP FOR TEACHERS

Betchboy's Moodle (Click on Podcasting Workshop for Teachers.  You can
click the "sign in as a guest" button to get

into the workshop)
http://www.virtualstaffroom.net/moodle/

Learning In Hand - iPods in Education
http://www.learninginhand.com/ipod/
"Many students already own an iPod, so why not tap into its potential
as an engaging learning tool? Click to the

left for more information about two kinds of iPods."

--------------------

EXAMPLES OF PODCASTING IN SCHOOLS

I Too sing Gananda
http://www.gananda.org/webpages/hslibrary/index.cfm?subpage=650194
This is podcasting at it's simplest level.  It is a web page with audio
files created by students.  There is no RSS feed, it is not published to
a "podcatcher" such as iTunes.  It is not published on a regular basis.
BUT - it is a chance for students to show their talents in reading,
writing, speaking and listening, and share their talents beyond the
classroom.

+++++++++++++++

Two folks suggested iTune as being the place with the most podcasts.
Download iTunes (if not already on your

computer), click on Podcasts and go to Podcast directory. On the left
will be categories, choose Education and you

will find hundredes of Podcasts many are very professional and lots are
from schools and students.

+++++++++++++++

Might I recommend our  author podcasts? Known as the 'Falcon Reader'?
http://www.saintstephens.org/website/Resources_CCLibrary.asp
<http://192.168.1.10/website/Resources_CCLibrary.asp>
Click on Freddy Falcon , on the right hand side.

+++++++++++++++

This is my first (and feeble!) attempt at podcasting for what it's
worth!

http://www2.cmcss.net/~RHS/Musicfiles/BattleoftheBooks2009.m4a

+++++++++++++++

If it would be useful for you, I've got podcasts posted on my
elementary
library blog. I have four different types that I've done in library or
helped teachers with.

1) first graders doing Reading Rainbow-style book talks: this was a
group
of high readers that I worked with once a week with a focus on
writing.
They read the books, talked about how to structure a booktalk like
Reading
Rainbow (with a worksheet that divided the talk into distinct parts),
and
then they wrote, revised, and recorded.
http://emersonlibrary.blogspot.com/2008/05/not-sure-what-to-read-next-ask-first.html

2) fourth and fifth graders doing book recommendations, mostly
informally.
I've been supporting these classes in booktalking to one another
during
library and class, so the podcast was an incentive to do a good enough
job
to record. Students prepared their booktalks, but this wasn't as
tightly
scripted as the first graders. I started by using Reading Rainbow as a
model, watching a few different styles of kid booktalks there and
having a
class discussion about what worked and what didn't. Students read the
books, prepared their talks, did talks for class, and then came in to
record with me over lunch. The real difficulty with this one has been
finding the time to record -- small public school, tight schedule,
library
space that's shared with art and music, etc.
http://emersonlibrary.blogspot.com/search/label/book%20reviews

3) The fourth and fifth grade teachers wanted to do a podcast to follow
up
their pre-election research. Students researched the candidates and
issues
and then made a persuasive argument about how they would vote and why.
They drafted and revised this on paper before recording. For this
project,
since I didn't have time to record 80+ podcasts, I trained two
students
from each class to be the "tech team," one afternoon after school.
They
weren't the most responsible or tech-savvy kids, but they were the
ones
who happened to be in the after-school program that day. With their
partners, each learned how to record and also the expectations of them
as
the "experts." Although I trained the teachers how to make a podcast
at
the same time, the students took responsibility for recording their
classmates. (I could write about my experiences with doing this, which
were very positive and taught me a lot, but it would take forever --
let
me know if you'd like to know more.) Those podcasts are up at:
http://emersonlibrary.blogspot.com/2008/12/fourth-fifth-graders-rocking-technology.html

4) The last one turned out to be a project that didn't go far, but
certainly had potential. Our intervention teachers use the Read
Naturally
program to improve fluency in struggling readers. At one point last
year,
we used podcasting as a tool that let second and third graders hear
themselves reading a familiar passage. They were able to recognize
their
own fluency (or lack of it) much more easily when they were just
listening
rather than decoding. The passages they read were from the Read
Naturally
program, so they weren't very interesting, but they *loved* hearing
themselves and it turned out to be useful. We only put some of them up
for
parents and the kids to hear. They're here:
http://emersonlibrary.blogspot.com/search/label/read%20naturally.

With limited technology and time available, we haven't done a huge
amount... and it hasn't been very regular. But this may still give you
sense of some things that we tried with first through fifth graders in
small, diverse public school.

Good luck! I look forward to seeing what else comes in.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way." ~ The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03

“Education is not about filling a pail, it’s about lighting a fire."  ~
William Butler Yeats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)