To LM_NETTERS -

Re Gayle's query, a doctoral student of mine, Eric Meyers, helped to compile the
following:

Tons of places for school library types to hang out in SL.  A key person is Lisa
Perez (Elaine Tulip in Second Life) from the Chicago Public Schools.  Lisa is doing
all sorts of stuff.  Check out her blog at http://blogs.cuip.net/dlis/
She lists librarian-focused events and links to SL resources.

Info Island and the Alliance Virtual Library is, of course, the nexus of SL
librarians.  Start with the blog http://infoisland.org/  and then move to in-world
activities from there.

Mike
(aka MB44 Husky in SL)

p.s. - I have a research project studying information problem-solving in virtual
environments. Second Life is clunky, but the concept is a sound one - immersive, 3D
virtual environments.  It's very "real" in terms of experiences.  But the virtual
world is different from the physical world.