If you are interested in you kids getting more active and learning some geography
at the same time you might check out the information below.

________________________________

From: P.A.C.E. Trek (Paul Staso) [mailto:paul@pacetrek.com]
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2009 8:13 PM
To: 'P.A.C.E. Trek (Paul Staso)'
Subject: 3 Weeks Until P.A.C.E. Trek 2009

MARCH 30 - P.A.C.E. TREK UPDATE - You can also read this online and view pictures
at www.pacetrek.com/journal.htm <http://www.pacetrek.com/journal.htm>

Three weeks from today I will begin P.A.C.E. Trek 2009 - a 500-mile journey through
the heart of Alaska. As of today there are 13,764 children registered to
participate in the trek, from 28 U.S. states as well as 6 other countries
(Australia, Germany, Japan, Malaysia, Scotland, and the United Kingdom). Free team
registration closes on April 16 and we're currently at 137 registered teams. Just
in the last three weeks there have been 5,000 students signed up! If you visit
pacetrek.com/journal.htm <http://www.pacetrek.com/journal.htm>  you'll see a photo
of the road which goes to Glennallen, Alaska (a section I'll be running this
spring). My mother took the photo two days ago and sent it to me. The snow is
beginning to melt and the shoulder of the road is in good condition!

"Pennies For Paul"

Recently, Tunnelton-Denver Elementary <http://tunneltondenver.pres.k12.wv.us>
(located in Tunnelton, West Virginia) did a "Pennies for Paul" project where they
raised money to help with some costs associated with P.A.C.E. Trek. They donated
$110.00 (that's 11,000 pennies!). Their school participated in last year's P.A.C.E.
Trek across Montana and has two teams that will be participating in the Alaska
adventure. Their donation is paying for my ferry ticket from Juneau to Haines,
Alaska, as well as one week's food costs. Thank you students of Tunnelton-Denver
Elementary!

Grants For Pedometers

I've learned that some schools participating in this year's P.A.C.E. Trek have
qualified for grants from other sources to be able to purchase pedometers for their
students to use during the three-week virtual trek. I'm glad to see that the value
of P.A.C.E. Trek is being recognized by those who can award grants for pedometers!

"New Home Page"

As some of you have noticed, if you go to pacetrek.com <http://www.pacetrek.com>
you'll see that I've designed a new homepage. This will be the permanent look for
P.A.C.E. Trek and after the Alaska journey is over I'll be fully developing
individual pages. What I've learned is that many teachers don't know how to access
my past endeavors (such as the Montana crossing, or my U.S.A. run). So, the new
P.A.C.E. Trek home page is designed to keep these ultra-endurance journeys more
organized so that people can explore each of them easily.

"KTOO Radio Interview - Juneau, Alaska"

On March 9th I was interviewed by KTOO Radio (Juneau, Alaska) about P.A.C.E. Trek
2009 and you can listen to that interview by clicking here
<http://www.pacetrek.com/ktoo.mp3> .

"Mt. Redoubt - A Very Active Volcano!"

Some of you may be aware that Mt. Redoubt is a volcano located 103 miles Southwest
of Anchorage, Alaska. It is 10,197 feet in height and has recently erupted (many
times). Until about a week ago it had sat quiet for 20 years. Now it is erupting on
a daily basis, sending ash as high as 65,000 feet into the air and turning the
white snow color of many Alaska areas to gray (Southcentral Alaska from the Mat-Su
Borough to Valdez). The Anchorage International Airport has been completely
shutdown due to ash being corrosive to jet engines. Some people in the
heavier-affected areas are wearing face masks to keep from inhaling the ash
particles. The most recent eruption sent a mudflow down the Drift River valley that
was detected by seismic instruments at the Alaska Volcano Observatory. An evacuated
Chevron oil storage facility containing six million gallons of Cook Inlet crude is
situated near the mouth of the Drift River where it empties into Cook Inlet.
Hopefully, the millions of gallons of crude oil will remain contained and not
spilled into the pristine surroundings. The latest information about the Redoubt
volcano can be found at the Alaska Volcano Observatory
<http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php>  web site.

Mt. Redoubt is a "stratovolcano", which is a tall, conical volcano with many layers
of hardened lava, tephra, and volcanic ash. Stratovolcanoes are characterized by a
steep profile and periodic, explosive eruptions. The lava that flows from
stratovolcanoes tends to be viscous; it cools and hardens before spreading far.

I just got off the phone with my brother who asked me if I would be bringing some
breathing masks to keep particles out of my airway and lungs while trekking through
Alaska. I will definitely be doing that! To begin the Alaska adventure I will be
flying into Juneau, which is in Southeast Alaska and a far distance from the
volcano. However, as the trek progresses I'll be as close as 100 miles from the
volcano, where ash is depositing heavily. Experts are uncertain at this time as to
how much more Mt. Redoubt will erupt. It could settle down soon... or it could
erupt periodically for many months. This is truly something that I'll be keeping my
eye on.

"Time Is Running Out To Register"

April 16 will be the last day for school teams to sign up
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Paul%20Staso\My%20Documents\My%20Webs\PACETREK\registerpace2009.htm>
  for free to participate in P.A.C.E. Trek 2009. Registration officially closes at
5:00 p.m., PST, on Thursday, April 16. If you haven't shared information about
P.A.C.E. Trek with teachers that you know, please do so today so that they can
consider having their students participate. Again, there is no cost... no
fundraising involved... and nothing that has to be purchased!

"Team Leader Passwords"

I have sent out to all of the team leaders the password needed to access the
special section of this web site which is only for teams. If you are a team leader
and have not received your password, please contact me
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Paul%20Staso\My%20Documents\My%20Webs\PACETREK\contact.htm>
 .

"Thank You"

I truly appreciate the encouraging words that I've received from so many people who
will be involved in this year's P.A.C.E. Trek through Alaska. I am looking forward
to the journey and hope that you'll be accessing my online classroom
<file:///C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Paul%20Staso\My%20Documents\My%20Webs\PACETREK\classroom.htm>
  daily between April 20 and May 12, 2009 to watch my progress and that of
thousands of children around the world.

Gotta Run,

Paul Staso
P.A.C.E. Trek (Promoting Active Children Everywhere)

P.O. Box 3404, Missoula, Montana 59806

E-mail: paul@pacetrek.com <mailto:paul@pacetrek.com>

Paul's Solo P.A.C.E. Running Treks:

€ 2006 P.A.C.E. Run Across America - www.pacerun.com <http://www.pacerun.com/>

€ 2008 P.A.C.E. Trek Across Montana - www.pacetrek.com/montana
<http://www.pacetrek.com/montana>

€ 2009 P.A.C.E. Trek Through Alaska - www.pacetrek.com <http://www.pacetrek.com/>
(kids) and www.stepthere.com <http://www.stepthere.com/>  (adults)

Paul's Running/Walking Curriculums:

€ Virtual Trek Across America Curriculum - www.seeusrun.com
<http://www.seeusrun.com/>

€ Virtual Trek Along Route 66 Curriculum - www.kids66.com <http://www.kids66.com/>

Click Here To Unsubscribe From P.A.C.E. Updates
<http://www.pacetrek.com/unsubscribe.htm>

If you are interested, please do not write to me but to the person above.
Lorna Kee
AFNORTH Internation School
Netherlands
Lorna.kee@eu.dodea.edu