Please excuse cross postings, but it only takes a few clicks to send a Capwiz fax
to your representatives and this matters for school librarians and our students.
Phone calls are even better, but we can all do this.

Thanks, Sara

From: "Melanie Anderson" <manderson@alawash.org>Date: March 30, 2009 2:29:09 PM
EDTTo: <alacro-l@ala.org>Subject: [alacro-l] Urgent Call to Action Reply-To:
alacro-l@ala.org
   Urgent Call to Action!
Sign onto Dear Colleague supporting library funding by Congressman Grijalva!
 Please contact your Representative and ask him or her to sign the "Dear Colleague"
letter being circulated by Congressman Raul Grijalva in support of funding for the
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and the Improving Literacy Through
School Libraries Program.

The deadline to sign the letter is Wednesday April 1!  LSTA
and Improving Literacy Through School Libraries are two of the most
important federal programs for libraries today.  The letter will not be
taken seriously, and it will appear as if Members of Congress
do not care about libraries if we don't have hundreds of signers on the
letter. Programs that don't have a vocal support network are in danger
of being cut.

The
letter is addressed to the House Labor, Health and Human Services and
Education Appropriation Subcommittees and requests that the House
include $300 million for the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)
and $100 million for the Improving Literary Through School Libraries
program for FY 2010.  When you contact your Representative, you must ask him or her
to call Joseph Mais in order to co-sign the letter at
202.225.2435.http://capwiz.com/ala/issues/alert/?alertid=13037141  Melanie
AndersonAssociate Director, Office of Government RelationsAmerican Library
Assocation1615 New Hampshire Avenue, NWWashington,  DC  20009(202) 628-8410 ( Main
)(202) 403-8216 (Direct)
(202) 321-0727 (Cell)(202) 628-8419 (Fax)www.ala.org/knowyourstimulus

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sara Kelly Johns

Immediate Past President, AASL

Associate Editor for AASL Community, Knowledge Quest

Lake Placid Middle/High School LMC

34 School Street

Lake Placid, NY 12946

518-523-2474, ext. 4132

FAX: 518-523-4861

johns@northnet.org

SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson