Thanks to everyone for their ideas. I also went to Mo Willems' website and
was led to some good crafts ideas; I like this one at [
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1ejg8EOIBrM/Rv0HxOMHCQI/AAAAAAAAADk/N0db-TFU5BM/s1600-h/pigeon.gif
]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1ejg8EOIBrM/Rv0HxOMHCQI/AAAAAAAAADk/N0db-TFU5BM/s1600-h/pigeon.gif

I did a little shopping at the Eric Carle Museum, www.picturebookart.org/

Terry Thomas
School librarian/ Middle school Language Arts teacher
Colegio Internacional Puerto la Cruz
Venezuela
terry.thomas@ciplc.net

*************************************************************************************************************************
Original request:

Next year I want to sponsor an after school activity for elementary
Students (either 1-3 or 4th/5th grades). We would read a story and then do
a crafts activity related to that. I'm thinking of doing things like an
Eric Carle collage. I need more ideas! If you have done make-and-take
activities with popular authors (Eric Carle, Mo Willems, Kevin Henkes,
Maurice Sendak, Jan Brett, even Dav Pilkey), can you please send me your
lesson ideas and links for buying supplies?
***************************************************************************************************************************
We read Knuffle Bunny and then I handed out black and white copies of
pictures of our playground and students drew themselves and animals, etc
on them.
***************************************************************************************************************************
I know she's not on your list, but  Lois Ehlert is another author that
might inspire great collages.  When I was student teaching, I did a
digital camera unit with 5th graders--shared some of Ehlert's books,
brought in tons of "junk" (buttons, bubble wrap, mittens, scarves, nuts
and bolts, textured paper, etc.) from my house, the students took pictures
of that "junk," selected items from their pictures using the lasso in
Photoshop, pasted their items in a new document, and then created a
picture.  I could send you my plans if the above explanation doesn't make
sense.  It was a fun but messy (and long) project that could be adapted to
any grade level.  Make and take collages would work for Ehlert, too.
***************************************************************************************************************************
If you check Jan Brettt's web site ([ http://www.janbrett.com
]www.janbrett.com) you will find numerous activity ideas. There are almost
too many to choose from! That may be true~for the other authors as well. I
haven't checked their sites because I have~middle school~students, but
Brett's site was one of our favorites when my son was younger.
***************************************************************************************************************************
I am working on the same idea as you.  I recently read aloud from Caldecott
honor books and award winners and the next week went to art class to work
on
a collage with 4th graders.  In art the kids used plaster and paper towels
to take a human face mask and turn it into an animal.  Kids made bears,
elephants, ducks, pigs, etc. The next week, I am planning a reflective
journaling lesson for those kids to try to understand the ties between the
art work and the Caldecott concept.  Please share any ideas you receive
from
the group!