Hi Everyone--

I do not know where this year has flown, but even more
astonishing, where the past quarter of a century (GASP!)
has gone, but that's how long I've been presenting the
annual Winners! Conference across scenic New Jersey.
This year's all-day seminar should be the Best One Ever.
I mean it! Door prizes (great books, READKIDDOREAD T-shirts,
and other goodies)! The Best Handbook Ever! Silly Songs
and Stories! The 100+ Best Books of the Past Year!
A great lunch! (And breakfast and desserts. Oh, yum.)
Yup, it's an all-day party, that's what it is. It's my favorite
workshop of the year, like my BER seminars on steroids.
And it's coming up in one short month, if you can believe it's
here already. I can't wait.

I've been PowerPointing like mad to get ready: scanning,
sizing, bordering, labeling, backgrounding, and making
beautiful the great art that will be on the screen all day,
from the best kids' books of the year, grades PreK-6+.
And singing in the shower, rereading lots of books, and
working on my notes. Debby LaBoon, the amazing gal
from Libraries Unlimited who organizes everything for
the conference, told me today I need a silver dress
and silver shoes for my 25th year. I told her I had an
amazing dress I call the Chrysler Building dress in my
closet that I bought many years ago when I was a sweet
young thing, but I was pretty sure, unless a miracle has
occurred of which I am unaware, that it will no longer fit
in any acceptable fashion. I take it out of the attic closet
every now and then and look at it with great affection.
Maybe I could just hang the dress on the stage. . .

If your district is still letting you attend conferences
(and I know many schools are not in this austere and glum
economic climate), I hope you can sneak out for the day.
(Last year, people even flew in from far-off places, which
was very cool.) If you know anyone who would like to spend
the day reveling in children's books and networking with the
leading librarians and teachers of the tri-state area and
beyond, please do pass the word along. And if you can't
go yourself, you can always get the brand new
The Winners! Handbook 2008, which is coming out from
Libraries Unlimited (www.LU.com) in one short month.
Follett and B&T and Amazon, etc., should all have it, too.
It's very spiffy--filled with teacher's guides, worksheets,
Reader's Theater scripts (5 this year, I believe), songs,
websites, and BOOKSBOOKSBOOKS.

And even if you don't have a cent left in your budget,
you will be able to find the list for free on Follett's great website,
www.titlewave.com. Just log in, click on CURRICULUM
on the top of the page, then POPULAR SUBJECT LISTS
on the left side, and scroll down till you find my name,
Judy Freeman. There you'll find my BER booklists for
this year and last, and the Winner's lists, too (though the
new one won't be up till May 1).

Here's the info on the day:

JUDY FREEMAN'S 25th ANNUAL WINNERS CONFERENCE:

To print out the flyer: www.LU.com.winners

Tuesday, April 28. 2009 at The Mansion, Voorhees, NJ
Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at Birchwood Manor, Whippany, NJ
Thursday, April 30, 2009 at Pines Manor, Edison, NJ
Friday, May 1, 2009 at Pines Manor, Edison, NJ

TO REGISTER, CONTACT:
Debby LaBoon
Libraries Unlimited Professional Workshops Department
23851 E. Phillips Place
Aurora, CO 80016
Office: 720-876-2033
Fax: 720-870-4892
Cell: 720-323-1070
Email: dlaboon@abc-clio.com

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
Reviewer for www.READKIDDOREAD.com
Author of Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
(Libraries Unlimited, 2006; www.LU.com)
and Once Upon a Time:
Using Storytelling, Creative Drama, and
Reader's Theater with Children in Grades K-6 (2007)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com
www.JudyReadsBooks.com

Feeling the pinch at the grocery store?  Make dinner for $10 or