Back in 2002 I participated in the discussion about the veracity of A Child Called
It.   It is, and has been for many years, one of the most popular titles at our
school.  And that is without me really promoting it in any way.  I read the book
and disliked it and found it difficult to believe.  So I was eager to find evidence
that it was not true.  I spent a lot of time searching databases and the web in
general for information about Pelzer and his books.  The only evidence is that one
article from the NYT Magazine.  I have not done any research on the issue since
2002 but it doesn't sound like there is any new evidence.

As librarians we should be the last ones to pronounce the book false based on one
unconfirmed quote from one journalist.  A journalist who, by the tone of his
article, seemed predisposed to dislike and discredit Mr. Pelzer.  It is a  memoir
based on childhood memories so there are bound to be inaccuracies and
misperceptions.  But given the amount of time that has passed since the first
publication and the enduring popularity of the book I would think that any
intentional lies would have been exposed by now.

Pelzer's books are staying in the biography section of my collection.

Tony

Anthony Doyle, Teacher Librarian
Livingston High School
Livingston, CA
tdoyle@muhsd.k12.ca.us

What am I reading now? http://lhsblog.edublogs.org/whats-he-reading-now/

"When I read about the way in which library funds are being cut and cut, I can only
think that American society has found one more way to destroy itself." (Isaac
Asimov, from his autobiography I Asimov)

The contents of this message are private and are intended for the recipients named
in the To and CC fields.  You may not forward this message without the expressed
permission of the author.  The contents of this message are the work of the author
and do not represent the opinions or policies of the Merced Union High School
District or Livingston High School.