There is a group of Australian teacher librarians who advocate a level beyond the
school walls,
trying to get our work and worth into the minds of politicians, parents and other
powers-that-be.
Have a look at The Hub at http://hubinfo.wordpress.com/

Also look at the work of the Ontario School Library Association
http://www.accessola.com/osla/

But the very first thing to do at the school level is to analyse and unpack the
reason that your
work is not being viewed and valued as it should be.  Get right to the core of the
issue so you can
fix the problem rather than just treating the symptoms.

Read as much as you can about the concept of an information literate school
community, particularly
anything by James Henri. I found that Leadership Issues in the Information Literate
School Community
is available through Amazon.  It is one of the core texts that all  teacher
librarians should read.

Use this to develop a vision for your library so you can begin with the end in
mind, as Covey
implores and then develop a set of S.M.A.R.T. goals which focus on teaching and
learning for the
library for the short, mid and long term that involve other staff members to help
you achieve them.

Look  at the Australian School Library Association Professional Standards of
Excellence
http://www.asla.org.au/policy/standards.htmand work out how you would 'translate'
these into your
school setting.

Write your own self-management statement (aka duty statement) so it explains and
educates.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian