I am looking for fiction set in Africa for the fifth grade.  Do you know of
any good titles?  I would prefer a novel with a boy as the main character.
I would also prefer more of an adventure as opposed to a political
statement.

These are a few of the titles I have found, and one or two might work... Do
you know of any others?

The Warm Place by Nancy Farmer
The Garbage King by Elizabeth Laird
The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo
Safari Journal: the adventures in Africa of Carey Monroe by Hudson Talbott
Mella and the N'anga: an African tale by Gail Nyoka
Sahwire: an African friendship by Carolyn Marsden
Countdown by Ben Mikaelsen
No Turning Back: A novel of South Africa by Beverley Naidoo
Journey to Jo'burg: a South African Story by Beverley Naidoo
The White Giraffe by Lauren St. John
Dolphin Song by Lauren St. John
The Last Leopard by Lauren St. John
Thunder Cave by Roland Smith
The Cryptid Hunters by Roland Smith
Brothers in Hope: the story of the Lost boys of the Sudan by Mary WIlliams
Benny and Omar by Eoin Colfer
Zulu Dog by Anton Ferreira
King Solomon's mines by Jack Kelly
The Story of Dr. Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
Born for Adventure by Kathleen Karr
Bone Dry by Kathleen Karr
Secret Journey by Peg Kehret
Papa Tembo by Eric Campbell
Akimbo and the elephants by Alexander McCall Smith
Akimbo and the lions by Alexander McCall Smith
Akimbo and the crocodile man by Alexander McCall Smith
Koi's Python by Mariam Moore
Saba: Under the hyena's foot by Jane Kurtz
Beyond the Mango Tree by Amy Zemser
The Mzungu boy by Meja Mwangi
Baboon: a novel by David Jones
Mogo, the third Warthog by Donna Jo Napoli
Tintin in the Congo by Herge
The Storyteller's beads by Jane Kurtz
Nzingha:  Warrior Queen of the Matamba by Pat McKissack

Thanks.

Joan Dyer-Westacott
Mellon Librarian
The American School in London