For a number of years I have purposely purchased "multiple" copies (2
to 10) of titles that support the curriculum, are high circulation
titles/replacements, hardbacks which will go OP or to paperback, or
are core collection titles.  They are NOT cataloged or processed but
shelved and housed in the library's storage area.  Presently, I have
1500-2000 books.

Having been a school librarian for over 30 years, my library budget
has fluctuated because of changes in administration, district funding,
state funding, and federal funding.  I have experienced healthy
increases, 10%-20% annual decreases, and multi-year "no increase"
budgets.  Regardless of my budget, book prices have rarely gone
DOWN!   How much would you save if you replaced a book your purchased
10 years ago instead of buying it this year?  What if your annual
replacement cost was zero?  Consequently, as a hedge and protection
against these variables beyond my control, especially in the good
years, I purchased extra copies thus developed a "rainy day" bookshelf.

Besides the usual 10%-20% cuts, I considered the worse case scenario.
What if my acquisition budget was eliminated completely?  Books are
antiquated and old technology.  Who needs books when everything and
all knowledge are online!  Of course, I was told and reassured drastic
cuts and/or failure to support collection development would never
happen.  However, if it did, my ideal goal was to be able to at least
maintain the existing collection at little expense.  Also, regardless
of financial circumstances, my popular demand titles, necessary
assignment titles, and curriculum support titles will always be
available.

Robert L. Hicks, librarian
Arkansas City High School
Arkansas City,  KS 67005