From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Shonda Brisco
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2009 7:18 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: GEN: MLS list assignments

I'm sure there is something more involved in the LM_NET assignment and that
the professors are asking for more than just the initial posting by MLS
students, so I wouldn't be too harsh on those who introduce themselves.  I
would assume that they should lurk, observe, and summarize the discussions;
however, I would also assume that some of these MLS students are finding
that they want to become a part of the discussion and want to introduce
themselves so that their names become more familiar to the rest of us.

As someone who has been on both sides of the fence, I welcome these new
professionals to our community and encourage them to lurk until they feel
comfortable enough to speak.  Hopefully, those who are monitoring the list
for one semester will continue to monitor for the rest of the year.  There
are SO many experts on this list that each new librarian will soon find a
mentor who will continue to guide them within the profession--- even if the
mentor is unaware of their impact.

Those who are new to the list, those who are lurking, and those who are
returning, please feel comfortable to watch, to read, to save, to share, but
ultimately, to grow within our professional online community.  You are
always welcome here!!

Welcome!!

~Shonda

--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

http://okschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com
http://okschoollibrarians.ning.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist
School Library Journal

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no libraries." ~ Library Poster