I was particularly interested in Pat's hit about encouraging teachers to use the
library because I am marking Masters-level papers in which students have to
identify an obstacle that stands in the way of their creating an information
literate school community.  When the markers were briefed we were warned to ensure
that the students had gone beyond describing the symptoms to identifying and
analysing the root cause of the problem.

So when Pat posted her issue, I suggested that she go and ask these teachers why
they do not use the library because that would help identify the practices and
priorities that are likely to be successful.  Pat included this in her hit, but I
was surprised that no one else suggested this.

There were many excellent strategies offered, which I am sure these students would
love to get hold of so I am going to blog about them in a little thing I have set
up, But I still think that it is easy that we assume we know the reason behind an
action when often it is something quire different altogether.  In "The 7 Habits of
Highly Effective People",  Covey urges us to 'begin with the end in mind" but how
can we determine the end if we don't know the starting point?

I am posting this to the list because the role of the teacher librarian and the
services a sound library-based program can offer still challenges our
classroom-based colleagues the world over and it might prove to be a starting point
for someone. We will never 'sell' if someone doesn't even know they have a need to
buy, let alone want to.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian