Good morning all:
             OK--I looked through the archives and also
checked into the books on Bullying that were listed
recently, but still haven't really found what I am looking
for. I know such books exist, but unfortunately I don't
have access to any public libraries to try to find them.
We do, however, have a teacher in the US right now for a
funeral and he is willing to bring me a book if I find
what I need.
             The situation is in 1st and 2nd grade where
there are just too many different ethnic groups and they
are fighting constantly. I am personally tired of dealing
with the bloody noses (the library bench is right next to
the playground so that is where they end up) and kids
coming to me and saying "So and so called me a bad name in
Korean/German/Spanish/You name it. Can anyone suggest a
book that deals with these issues that a 1st grader would
catch on to?
              I have read them the classics such as the
"Sneetches", and "Rainbow Fish". We have tried newer ones
like "I'm Sorry" from McBratney and "Cookies" from
Rosenthal. I guess what I am saying is, we need a book
like "The Outsiders" for 1st grade. I would, however,
appreciate something that doesn't require you knowing a
lot about America and instances there such as Bunting's
"Smoky Night". It is a wonderful books but by the time I
get done explaining about how in America there are
"shelters" in churches, hot cocoa and of course how there
were the LA race riots since to them this type of thing
would never happen in the US, the kids have lost the point
of everyone getting along.
           As usual, Thanks for all your help and I know
that at least some of you will come up with books that I
should have thought of on my own so don't assume that I
have already tried some of the classics.

Carol Van Brocklin
Librarian
Faith Academy-Mindanao
Davao City, Philippines