In the public schools in Charlotte, North Carolina, I was hired before having my
MLIS, but I had to prove at the end of each year that I was taking courses toward
the degree and had to have the degree completed within 5 years of starting. It was
great doing the job as I was learning about it!

Janet Gross

School Librarian

Corlears School

New York, New York

> Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 14:14:11 -0400
> From: acuseo@BKHS.ORG
> Subject: Re: TAR: Librarians hired before degree complete?
> To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
>
> Let me be the heretic here -- and I speak as a former Instructor at 2 Graduate
>Library Schools. I have a BLS, a MLS  and a PhD - all in library - and most of
>what I know I learned on the job.
>
> True - I learned from the best librarians - both on the job and at SUNY/Geneseo
>and Columbia University School of Library Service. But, it was my practicum
>experience (in those days we went out for a full semester) where I learned the
>most. Library schools are great to learn the philosophy of service, the history of
>the profession, etc. BUT, it was the practicum experience and my first years
>(1963-1965 probably) where i learned the practical stuff - how to run a reference
>desk, how to run a circulation desk, how to interact with the problem patron, and
>how to adapt a lesson to meet all the needs of the students.
>
> I was just discussing this matter with one of our counselors today and also with
>our social worker - how does the teacher learn how to work with the bipolar
>student, the student who refuses to work in groups as he/she has no social skills,
>the student who is drunk or stoned, the student who has experienced abuse, etc.
>
> There is nothing like on-the-job training - but it should be with a dedicated,
>passionate, and service-oriented librarian (who is also a fantastic teacher).
>
> I am not sure I would have made it if I had been thrown into a position where I
>was the only librarian -  and I had the BLS. and was working on my MLS. That is
>not to say it can't happen but I am glad it didn't happen to me.
>
> Allan
>

> Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo, MGC
> Director of Library Services
> Bishop Kearney High School | A Golisano Education Partner
> 125 Kings Highway South
> Rochester, New York 14617
> 585.342.4000 x231
> 585.342.4694 (fax)
> acuseo@bkhs.org
>
> www.bkhs.org
> College Prep. Plus.

HotmailŪ has a new way to see what's up with your friends.