From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 1:14 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] TAR: Librarians hired before degree complete?

Let me be the heretic here -- and I speak as a former Instructor at 2
Graduate Library Schools. I have a BLS, a MLS  and a PhD - all in library -
and most of what I know I learned on the job.

True - I learned from the best librarians - both on the job and at
SUNY/Geneseo and Columbia University School of Library Service. But, it was
my practicum experience (in those days we went out for a full semester)
where I learned the most. Library schools are great to learn the philosophy
of service, the history of the profession, etc. BUT, it was the practicum
experience and my first years (1963-1965 probably) where i learned the
practical stuff - how to run a reference desk, how to run a circulation
desk, how to interact with the problem patron, and how to adapt a lesson to
meet all the needs of the students.

I was just discussing this matter with one of our counselors today and also
with our social worker - how does the teacher learn how to work with the
bipolar student, the student who refuses to work in groups as he/she has no
social skills, the student who is drunk or stoned, the student who has
experienced abuse, etc.

There is nothing like on-the-job training - but it should be with a
dedicated, passionate, and service-oriented librarian (who is also a
fantastic teacher).

I am not sure I would have made it if I had been thrown into a position
where I was the only librarian -  and I had the BLS. and was working on my
MLS. That is not to say it can't happen but I  am glad it didn't happen to
me.

Allan

Dr. Allan O'Grady Cuseo, MGC
Director of Library Services
Bishop Kearney High School | A Golisano Education Partner
125 Kings Highway South
Rochester, New York 14617
585.342.4000 x231
585.342.4694 (fax)