Since this is a unit I teach every year - I only wanted to focus on new web 2.0
tools that I had not shown before.  I did mention facebook again this year as I am
still finding students who do not realize that everything they post on facebook can
come back to haunt them if they are not careful.  I have two teenagers at home who
have facebook and I also have an account.  I am amazed sometimes on what some of
their friends are continuing to post.  So - I started the lesson with a review of
good post ethics on facebook as well as on other sites such as blogs, chats, ect.

After that, I showed them a few web 2.0 tools that they can use and we spent the
remaining 5-10 minutes of class "playing" with some of the sites.    Thanks to
everyone who helped!  It was great!

Web 2.0 in 2009

Hot New Trends in Web 2.0

Social Networks: These are programs that combine the best of all the above into one
site.  You can add blogs, photo-sharing, podcast, or a variety of tools into your
own “network” or “space” that you then share with others.
        www.facebook.com <http://www.facebook.com> : the most popular one at our
high school
www.ning.com <http://www.ning.com> or http://education.ning.com/
Twitter:        http:twitter.com <http://www.Twitter.com>:  Twitter is a free
social networking service that allows you and your friends to send “update” (up to
140 characters long) to the Twitter website via text messages from a cell phone,
instant messaging or a third-party application such as Facebook.

Plurk: www.plurk.com <http://www.plurk.com>  This site is very similar to twitter.
It lets you follow the people you are closest too giving you updates on what they
do throughout the day.

Social Bookmarking/Tagging:  Social bookmarking is a program that lets you bookmark
specific websites for future use.  It is like using the regular bookmarks/favorites
button on your web browser with one main difference - a social bookmark lets you
access your bookmarks on any computer or share them with friends.
                        <http://del.icio.us/>

Online Programs/Open Source: This term generally means a software package that was
composed by several different technical writers (software code writers) and is free
to be used by anyone.  Examples include Spybot, Firefox and AVG.
                        www.googlenotebook.com <http://www.googlenotebook.com>

PhotoSharing/Creating and Editing:

Animoto:  Animoto is a free open-source software program that lets you download
pictures, music, and video from your camera or phone.  You can then edit them to
create your own one-of-a-kind video that you can share with others.  A new way of
doing powerpoint presentations!

        www.voicethread.com <http://www.voicethread.com> : A VoiceThread
<http://voicethread.com/> is an online media album that can hold essentially any
type of media (images, documents and videos) and allows people to make comments in
5 different ways - using voice (with a microphone or telephone), text, audio file,
or video (with a webcam) - and share them with anyone they wish. A VoiceThread
allows group conversations to be collected and shared in one place, from anywhere
in the world.
Examples: Grade K-2 <http://voicethread4education.wikispaces.com/K-2>
                              Grade 3-5
<http://voicethread4education.wikispaces.com/3-5>

        Glogster: www.glogster.com <http://www.glogster.com>  This is a great way
to create one-of-a-kind posters that again you can send to all your friends.

        Bighugelabs: www.bighugelabs.com <http://www.bighugelabs.com> is part of a
photo-sharing site called Flikr.  Bighugelabs takes photos you download onto flikr
and turn them into cool designs and posters.  A great way to be creative and spend
an evening designing.

        Wordle: www.wordle.com <http://www.wordle.com>.  Wordle is a great poster
site that lets you type in all the words and have it arrange them into an
interesting pattern or word cloud.