Dear Lisa

I hear what you are saying but there seems to be an implication that going to
university (or
whatever you call the place where you get that degree) gives you all the answers so
that you enter
your library as a "finished product" able to do every aspect of the job to a high
standard every
time.  Even with that degree, there are always going to be parts of the job that
we, as individuals,
will struggle with - that is why the human condition means we are lifelong
learners. We cannot and
never will be prepared for everything, and no university course can cover
everything that we need to
be able to go into a library as a complete package.

As humans, let alone teachers, I believe it is our responsibility to assist those
who may be
struggling in an area that we have expertise.  We all have strengths and
weaknesses, and the person
who cannot catalogue may be a brilliant teacher. Acclaimed Australian author,
Jackie French
acknowledges that she is dyslexic and was concerned that this would be a barrier to
her writing,
until someone pointed out "that's what secretaries are for".

The original question related to employing someone before their degree is finished;
all the
respondents have insisted that a degree in the field is an essential.  But
universities have to put
a package together that covers what they determine to be the essentials which meet
a certain
standard of intellectual rigour (and no two universities have the same package);
and which fits
within a time and price budget and they will never ever be able to fit everything
we need to know
within that package.

Yes, in terms of advocacy, the ideal is that no one is employed without "their
package" but at
least, in this situation, the school acknowledges the importance of the package.
The main problem
is with those schools who don't see it as necessary at all.

Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
COOMA NSW 2630