Librarians in our school district have just been informed that all library aide
positions will be terminated
for next year. We have approximately 800 students in high school, and 400 in junior
high. (Elementary
campuses are a little larger.) We have 4 certified librarians (one rotates between
2 campuses) and
4 adult library aides (one works part-time at 2 campuses.)  A new librarian will be
hired to take over
the library which has had a part-time librarian, and adult aides will be terminated.

We librarians are trying to plead our case to keep at least part-time "trained"
adult aides that could rotate
through the district to assist with work loads and cover the library when one of
the librarians has to be
out.

Administration has asked that we get input from other districts about our size. Do
you have an adult
library aide/clerk? If you have none, do you just close the library when you have
to be out? ("Subs"
cannot keep the library running properly...)  Do you have student aides? (I am in a
junior high, and
most of our aides are not much help...)  We have a flexible library schedule, but
English/Reading
classes come in on a regular basis; other classes come frequently. Students come
from classes
all day long, and also before and after school.  I have no conference/planning
period.

I would appreciate hearing comments, suggestions, complaints, etc...  Please
respond to me off list,
and I will post a hit if there is interest.

Thanks for your help!
Linda Mattox
Librarian, Jasper Junior High
Jasper, TX 75951